Please help! (Panasonic PT-53WX53 )

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Lance_H, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Lance_H

Lance_H Extra

I just bought a Panny PT-53WX53 last thursday. It has been looking great until today when i got home. Now black looks red and dark objects get a red halo around them. I have checked convergence and the setting. I have the settings like recomended on panny.tv site. Another thing is when I watch a 2.35:1 dvd, the black bars are redish and were the bar and picture touch there is a red line. Please help. I am about temped to send the thing back. BTW I am waiting on my Digital Video Ess. disk to get here but need something to hold me over till then...or is there something wrong?

[​IMG]

2. Lance_H

Lance_H Extra

No one around to help a newbe out?

3. Lance_H

Lance_H Extra

Well great...now i am reading on Panny.tv about the "Evil POP". How can I tell if this is what happened? There is just to much red and it cannot be adjusted down. I have played with the user settings for about 3 hours tonight and still the same problem. Any idea's? Should i just take it back and get a different set? I am not very happy at all with the fact that the TV is basicly 4 days old.

4. Lance_H

Lance_H Extra

Well I checked the connections. Both S-video and DVI inputs are tight. Still have the same problem. Black has a redish hue to it and greys look pink. Here is my user settings I have now to try and lower the redish look:
    Color- 6
    Tint- 31
    Brightness- 9
    Picture- 24
    Sharpness- 0
    Color Temp- Cool

Like I said, grey is really messed up as well. On my Sat. menu the grey area looks dull pink. I really loved this TV about 2 days ago so its hard to take it back. If i am doing something stupid please tell me.

I bought this from BB and have the 4 year in house service plan. Should I just take it back or have them come out and check it out?

Any info/help would be great.

Thanks,
    Mr. Frustrated

5. Lance_H

Lance_H Extra

I just called the service people and I am in the process of getting them out to my house. Looks like it is going to be a few days though. Anyone have an idea for me to try? I really wonder if I should take the set back seeing I have run into trouble 4 days into ownership...Has anyone experienced this on a Panny before?

Thanks,
    Mr. Frustrated [​IMG]

6. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I'd return if I had the option...the panny sets are good, maybe you just got a lemon [​IMG]

7. Lance_H

Lance_H Extra

Well the Tech. just called me back and will be coming to my house Monday. I guess I will go from there. I take it from the lack of responses that no one else has experienced this problem. Unless I am searching the wrong info I cannot find any old posts about this.

My DVE and The Fifth Element (Superbit Collection) DVD's will be arriving the day after the Tech. If I am not happy with how they look I'll take the advise I have gotten so far and return the TV. I really hate to do this because I will have to make a choice to get another PT-53WX53 or a different set.

Another question, my BB has Video Electronics & Parts, Inc. do their repair work. I saw on imagingscience.com they are ISF-Trained Dealer. So I asked they lady on the phone about getting a set calibrated and she told me they would have to bring the set into the shop to do it. I thought the point to having your TV ISF calibrated was it being done in house with your lighting conditions etc? Am I misunderstanding something here?

Thanks,
    Mr. Less Frustrated [​IMG]

8. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Sounds like a lemon, I would just return it and get the same one without getting this one fixed if possible.

At least you are now less frustrated. I would agree that this is a unique situation because we all know how fast people will reply on this forum if they can. I've never heard of your problem but it sounds as if you were using component cables and the blue or green one is bad, but since you are not using component cables, I have no clue. Just trying to fill the empty void of space your thread is flying through.

And yes, ISF does it at your house, the lady you talked to is wrong or just doesn't understand what you are talking about.

9. Lance_H

Lance_H Extra

Ok...I get home today and guess what. It is blue!!! Now everything is blue. The greys are blue the blacks are blue...everything. This is very strange. I wonder if when i get home after work wednesday if it will all be green?

10. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Lance,
    Do a search on the Panasonic PT-47WX53, which is the same television in a smaller size. There is lots of info on the "evil pop" on some of those threads.

11. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Yes, this definitely sounds like the "evil pop". And since you have the BB extended warranty, it might not be a good thing to get it replaced right off the bat. IIRC, the "no lemon" policy on the warranty will terminate the warranty when they replace your TV -- check the fine print to make sure. However, I'm not sure if that applies to such a new TV. Certainly, if it does, you can tell them you want it returned for a full refund on both TV and extended warranty since the TV is so new.

FYI, the "evil pop" seemed like a relatively common issue on Panny's from 2 years ago, but not so common in last year's models. That's probably a big reason why you haven't seen reports of it here in HTF (until very recently w/ these new models).

If you're handy, you can probably fix it yourself just as well as a typical repair guy, but I would not recommend it unless you ARE handy at tweaking stuff, have read ALL the relevant info (including warnings), and still feel quite confident about it. And since you have an extended warranty, you're probably best off leaving it to the technician. Just keep an eye on what he/she's doing to make sure it gets fixed properly.

OR as has been suggested, return it for a replacement. But make sure they don't replace it via the "no lemon" policy in your extended warranty since that might effectively end the warranty.

_Man_

12. Lance_H

Lance_H Extra

Thanks Man-Fai for your reply. I am about 100% sure it is the "Evil Pop" now and the repair tech. will be here Monday. I would do the fix myself but the "Glue" issue sounds like the end to my warranty. Seeing I payed $300 for it I might as well use it. I plan on talking to the tech. about ISF-calibration as well. Now off to RS to pick up my SPL meter. [​IMG] I wonder what trouble I can get into with it?

13. Lance_H

Lance_H Extra

UPDATE:

Last night the Tech. stopped by the house and checked out my problem. After looking at the set he told me what everyone here said. TAKE IT BACK AND EXCHANGE IT. Well I guess mule headed Missouri boy like me needs to be slapped in the face before he listen's to people.

So today I returned the set and brought the new one home. I got to thinking, as I was about to plug the new one in, maybe I should hold off until the set acclimatizes(SP?) to my house. Living in south Florida for as long as I have I don't notice the humidity that much anymore. But as I am sweating on the unit while unloading it, I thought it might be a good idea. Just wonder whats going on inside the set. Should this be standard practice for TV's when relocating them? I work on ATC RADAR and never install new parts into the system until it has acclimatized to the shelter. The shelter is 60 and outside its 90...so guess what happens.

So anyway, I figure a could wait a couple hours until I got off work. I never was really concerned about this at home until today. What do you guys think? Have I become a hypochondriac?

14. videobruce

videobruce Stunt Coordinator

First, what is this "Evil Pop"?
    Second, it sounds as it is a encoder or maybe a black balance problem with first the red and then the blue 'tint' look.
    Could also be a color tempature problem.

15. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    I'm not too sure what is the real problem, but it's probably an electrical problem in the little controller box that lets you manually tune the TV's color temperature, ie. greyscale. If it's the same as previous year models, that little box also allows tuning of electronic focus. They put glue around the knobs to make sure the knobs don't turn even the slightest bit unintentionally. Very sensitive controls there -- particularly the greyscale controls.

Lance,

It's a good idea to let the set acclimatize(?) if conditions are very different indoors from outdoors. When I took delivery of my 53wx42 back in December in the midst of a somewhat snowy(!) morning, the BB delivery guy actually warned me to give it at least 30 minutes for the climatic difference. If a delivery guy says this, I'll certainly take heed.

_Man_

16. Lance_H

Lance_H Extra

Well I had this PT-53WX53 for 2 months after exchanging the first one and it has happened again. This time everything has turned blue. Is this set a P.O.S. or am I having very bad luck? Same tech. as before is coming to my house Monday. How many other's are having this problem? Is there a recall on this model? [​IMG]