Please Help!! Opinions on Onkyo and Harman Kardon

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Sooy, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Josh Sooy

Josh Sooy Auditioning

I am looking at putting together a home theater system for my medium to small size family room. I have my display that I am very happy with (Toshiba 36")
    I need a reciever and Surround Speakers. I have looked around and I think I have narrowed it down to what I may purchase. I am unsure about the Harman/Kardon Speakers. The Onkyo reciever seems pretty solid. I really cant spend much more money than what is in the package below.
    I would love opinions on the Speakers especially and throw in your 2cents about the reciever as well. Please help me out I am very new to the whole audio scene.
    Oh.. stuff I want this system to work well with
    Games (PS2, Dreamcast)
    DVDs
    Audio Cds (at least good sound with cds)
    Also.. I really cant spend much more than listed below. If there is a speaker set that is a couple hundred more I would consider it. But I cant go above 1000 for the setup.
    Harman/Kardon HKTS 5 Home Theater Speaker System$329.99
    http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...ts5&iWID=48134
    Onkyo TX-DS595 Digital Surround Receiver$369.99
    http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...595&iWID=48133
    Thanks,
    Josh

2. Josh Sooy

Josh Sooy Auditioning

Also.. not to sound like an idiot.. but I am really new to this stuff. The power handling on the H/K Speakers is 70 Watts each. The Onkyo pushed 75 Watts to each chanel. Is this a problem?

Josh

3. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

I can't really say anything about the H/K speakers since I haven't seen or heard them before but I do own a high current H/K receiver and I love it.It gives a nice,clean,warm sound that I was looking for.It matches up great with my DefTech speakers and 2 Rotel amps.The receiver runs a little warm...nothing to be concerned with.I seriously considered the Onkyo 696 but never got the service from the area manager that I thought should have gotten.Never looked back.As for the receiver rating watts into your speakers,that should be no problem.

4. RandyRush

RandyRush Stunt Coordinator

I have had both H/K and Onkyo receivers; first the H/K120 which I think was a great sounding receiver and had very clear and crisp tones; I exchanged it for the Onkyo797 because I wanted the THX ability; while I love the 797, I just don't think it matches up to the H/K in clarity; but that may just be me; either one will provide you with great sound---just the features for the $ will be different.

5. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

The 595 is a solid piece. On a small budget like this you might consider one of the new Kenwood models and using the money you save towards better speakers.

The JBL NSP1 speaker package is a great deal if you can find them for $280 or less. It doesn't come with a sub, but you could use the Sony SAWM40 sub for $150. A friend of mine just bought this combination (with a different receiver) and its a lot of performance for the money. Really puts those Theater-in-a-box things to shame.

6. Josh Sooy

Josh Sooy Auditioning

Thanks for the input so far. I am pretty sure the Onkyo 595 is what I will go with. Still up in the air about the speakers though...