1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Please help on a Panasonic stb...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Keir H, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

I have had no luck in getting the tech support from Panasonic to help me with my tuning problem..so, i hope you guys can give me some technical advise. I have a Panasonic TU-HDS20 stb (rev 8.10) and it is a second hand unit I bought of someone. The unit tunes well when perfoming the autoscan feature on all analog stations in my area. I am using it as a OTA tuner for now. I have disabled SAT mode. I have it hooked up to a Silver Sensor and it I cannot seem to pick up any ATSC(HD) stations on the autoscan page. It picks up analogs like a charm so i dont think the tuner is defective. Its not however picking up the characteristic 12-1, 39-2 ect... I have it aimed directly at the towers and have excellent los to them at about 10-15 mi. Antenna.org shows that yellow ant. would do the trick. It seems that everyone has a pretty easy time tuning once they have the right antenna and compass settings. I dont know what I am doing wrong. One thing that i find weird is when i select autoscan and stand near the box as its scanning, a green light comes on from the inside of the stb. It seem to flash just prior to a known ATSC station is scanned. it goes off and the HD channel is skipped to the next analog station which it locks. Is that a " HD locking" light? if ANyone has this box, please do rescan for your stations to see if you see something like this. I called ELgin and the lady says just send it to them for $100 flat labor plus $30 in shipping! And I dont know if I do have a defect or not. Thats before parts..I could not get her to tell me whether my box is bad or not..arrghh! [​IMG] Well it doesnt seem like i will enjoy HD before the bowl season. Please help guys thanks..

2. John S

John S Producer

The guys at Circuit City told me the box will not do the HDTV unless you pay for service with it.

I dunno.....

3. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

THanks for reading John. You mean for locals only you still have to pay for a subscription to the HD Directv channels? I thought OTA was not a problem for dual purpse boxes? thanks again for input. Also, what is "bind the access card" mean?

4. John S

John S Producer

Binding is what is done when you buy the service.

I don't know what I said for fact, I was thinking of buy'n one, and that is what they (CC) told me. So I bought an OTA only tuner instead.

5. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

ANy other ideas or help out there? [​IMG]