Please help newbie choose a sub!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Dehardt, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Gary Dehardt

Gary Dehardt Agent

I'm putting together my first HT system and so all of this is pretty new to me. I turn to you guys for some pearls of wisdom.

I have B&W 602's up front and the B&W CC 6S2 as a center.

I'm moving into an apt. in NYC soon, at which point I'll add surround speakers (probably the 601's). I'd like to add a sub to my system as well. I've never owned a sub b/f so I don't exactly know what to look for. I'd like something that's a good match for my 602's. Also, since I'll be moving into a NYC apt., earth rattling base may not be in my future.

The following subs have been recommended to me:

Paradigm PDR-10 ($350)

Paradigm PDR-12 ($419)

PS-1000 ($549)

Infinity 100s ($500)

As I said, I'd like a sub that matches my 602's (under $500).

1) Since I've never had a sub, will I really be missing anything by spending say $350 instead of $550?

2) How big should the sub be - "8? "10?

Finally, I've been offered the DefTech Pro Sub 80 for $150. 3) Would this be a good match for my 602's?

It seems like a good deal that prehaps I should jump on, but I don't want to spend the $150 only to decide in a couple of months that I should have gone for a bigger sub.

I'm using:

Sony "32 TV

Sony 30ES receiver

Sony CA7ES cd player

Toshiba 4700 DVD player (will buy this soon)

I use my system 50% for HT, 50% for music.

4) Should I jump on the DefTech or should I go w/one of the above mentioned subs? I really like my system so far and don't want to compromise it by adding a "weak link." At the same time, any money I could save on a sub could be used towards other improvements (cd player?) Are there other subs I should be looking at?

I don't know who else to turn to for advice and I would greatly appreciate any advice (especially from B&W people)!

Thanks in advance.

GH

2. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Gary, I would highly suggest researching the Adire Audio Rava and the HSU VTF-2 here on the forum. Each sub is below $500 and extremely well thought of!

Have you ever thought of building your own sub? I built one for ~$350-400 and it will probably kick around

3. Gary Dehardt

Gary Dehardt Agent

Jeffrey,

I'm the least handy person in the world, so unfortunately, that's out. But I will definately look into the models that you suggested. Thanks!

GH

4. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    1) In this price range you get a good performance boost for a few $$$ more. Adire's Rava ($399) -> Hsu VTF-2($499) -> Adire Dharman ($599), SVS subs ($599+), etc. IMO, bass reproduction is critical to any HT or music enjoyment & worth the extra expense.

2) Don't get too caught up on cone size (15" is not always better than 12"). A subwoofer must be capable of moving large amounts of air. This means cone area (diameter) X linear displacement (Xmax). Other important factors are amplifier power and enclosure size & type.

I would strongly suggest investigating Adire's Rava subwoofer and Hsu's VTF-2 in the

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Like Jeffery said, look at the Rava ($399). I think it will be more along the lines of what you want then the VTF2.

I'd stay far away from the Paradigm PS series. Bandpass boom box. The PDR10/12 aren't bad sound wise, but a Rava would kill them both in sound quality and output.

I would place every sub you've listed as an extreme weak link in comparison to your speakers. The Rava is worthy though.

6. Gary Dehardt

Gary Dehardt Agent

Thanks. Looks like I'll be spending a little more on a sub that I originally planned, but I don't mind if it's the integrity of my system that we're talking about. Consensus so far seems to be in favor of the Rava, and possibly the Hsu VTF-2. I don't think my local dealer carries these brands...are they available for purchase online?

Thanks again.

GH

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

8. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    A lot of subs to choose from, this forum particulary loves SVS subs. Let me throw out another manufacturer that these forums don't mention often, "VELODYNE".

9. Gary Dehardt

Gary Dehardt Agent

Any particular model of Velodyne or SVS that would go well with my 602's? What about Klipsch?

10. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    Velodyne CHT-10 or CHT-12 are definitely in your price range.

11. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i'd go with a Hsu VTF-2. www.jeffssoundvalues.com has it for $425. that's the best price i could find. (FWIW, i have an SVS [​IMG])

12. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Klipsch's KSW subs aren't up to much. The RSW are pretty good but out of your price range.

13. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

14. Gary Dehardt

Gary Dehardt Agent

Will the Velodyne CHT-10 or CHT-12 go well w/my 602's? I guess I'll add them to my list, along w/the Rava and the Hsu. If I'm willing to spend a little more, would an SVS buy a good investment?

15. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    Gary,

for your budget I'd recommend the 12" Velodyne...however if you can swing it...I'd check out an Earthquake MkIV 12" sub...they run about 1500 MSRP...but it would last you a lifetime, and I am sure it would best the majority of subs out there.

Eric.

16. Gary Dehardt

Gary Dehardt Agent

Thanks everybody.

And Brian - no problem..ask away!

OK, so Rava, HSU, Velodyne...those are the three I'm looking at now.

B&W 602's, 1 bedroom apt. in NYC...50-50 music/HT. I'm open to advice/suggestions...

Dustin, why do you say that the VTF2 isn't what I'm looking for? (is it b/c it'd wake my neighbors?)

Thanks again.

Gary

17. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

An ideal sub is great for both music and movies. But compromises must be made inorder to keep a subs size and cost down (which is why DIY subs can be such good values, if space isn't a concern and you don't have to worry about shipping it, you can build huge subs to get high output at a low cost, check my sig for an example). As the compromises go, the VTF2 compromises towards better for home theater while the Rava compromises to better for music.

I was under the impression that you wanted really tight defined bass, and last octave output was a secondary consideration considering your environment. With those impressions I would recommend the Rava over the VTF2.

Velodyne doesn't say if the CHT series are sealed or vented. It appears they are sealed. If so I would say the CHT12 and Rava will be very close to each other in performance. So unless you can find the CHT12 for close to the price of a Rava, I would stick with the Rava. If the price is close, you'll have the benefit of being able to audition in store (Velodyne is a solid name is subs), rather than risk shipping for returning a Rava. However, I highly doubt you'll be disappointed with a Rava.

18. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Hmm, I just went to refresh my memory on some specs of the Rava and decided to look at the reviews they had posted. This quote was in the second one: