Please Help! Network waivers for DISH

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David_Jr, May 18, 2001.

1. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
    I hope someone can help. I have been a DISH customer for about 4 years now. I have the distant networks package and have the east and west coasts + PBS. A friend of mine in my office is interested in getting a DISH because his cable is unwatchable and the cable company (located in New Jersey)has told him that they are not going to do anything about it. They advised him that the problem is with the antennas that receive the local network signal in his town (all cable programming is apparently piped from NJ, but not the Albany, NY networks. He asked me about the DISH because he knows I have one. I called a local DISH satellite dealer and was told that based on his zip code, he can only receive the FOX distant network from DISH. He stated that my friend must obtain a waiver from each Albany network in order to receive that particular network and it is his experience that the networks are refusing to grant the waivers unless you can prove to them that you can't receive their signal over the air. This is an outrage. I live in the same county and I have been getting the networks all along! We live about 40 miles from the city in very mountainous terrain and it seems that we are not being treated fairly. Does anyone have experiences with these waivers? Can they be had? Will it help to call his congressman?
    ------------------
    Dave

2. Damian

Damian Agent

We put in for waivers for all the local channels, the only one that was granted was Fox. (I live in the San Francisco Bay Area)
    At the start of the year, Dish Networks got into a fight with KRON which resulted in us loosing that channel. We put in again for a waiver for that channel. Once again it was denied. No real reason was given, just denied. We thought for sure we'd get it this time since they are not giving us our local KRON feed.
    I guess we thought wrong.
    They told us when we put the request in that they are almost ALWAYS denied. But they didn't give us any specific reasons why they would be granted, or why they are denied.
    ------------------
    -Damian

3. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
    Not good news, but thanks for the info.
    ------------------
    Dave