Please help! Need to make quick decision!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MannyE, Jul 3, 2004.

1. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Hi all! I've been away from the hobby and the forum for a while... well more away from the forum than the hobby...been watching a lot of movies in the ol' HT.

BUT! Since I have been watching movies and not keeping up with the latest gossip on equipment..I'm at a loss! Here's my situation...

I have 2 1/2 year old twins... They watch a lot of DVDs, TV (Barney and the usual stuff...Soilent Green...j/k) .

I want to get an entry level DVD recorder in the next few days to do the following...

Make backup copies of the stupid kids DVDs ..to date they have ruined at least 5 DVDs of various annoying kids things (Barney..Soilent Green..) At 15 to 20 bucks a pop..I need an inexpensive way to back up to a DVD-R then replace as they destroy..

TO make DVD copies of thier favorite TV shows so they can watch them ad nauseum and stop taking up space on my Tivo. I am trying to phase out VHS.

The second reason is most important, and I realize that the DVD to DVD copies will probably have to be done in the PC...BUT if there is one of these inexpensive players that will hook up to my PC...that would work too.

It does not have to be a quality piece, although I want something of SOME reliability...say in the 300 to 350 range on price. And that uses media playable in my Sony DVP-S300 (yes....it is STILL working well...amazing Sony first generation player) and other DVD players (a panasonic and two laptops)

TIA for any advice!

I have looked at the Akai DVDRW120. Anyone know of this, or have any experience?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

My Sony 7000 can't recognize any of the recordable media, probably because it was designed and manufactured before those specs were established. Your 300 may have similar limitations.

M.

3. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

OK...disregarding the DVD to DVD thing...

DO These DVD recorders have any problems using Tivo as a source? Will I run into any Macrovision there?

I should think not. Legally.

But are there any technical reasons this would not be possible? Has anyone done it? I find nothing on Tivo to DVD REcorder when I search for that.

Actually, the S-300 has taken all of the recordable media I have thrown at it so far. Even a DVD-R that came out of an Avid with my resume on it. Got to admit, that's one very solid player.. I just wish the current crop was as well made. (Current as far as about 18 months ago...if the current current are as good...I stand chastised)

4. Michael Reuben

Search for Pioneer. There are threads about the various TiVo/DVD recorder combos released by Pioneer.

M.

5. David Massey

David Massey Agent

Macrovision is only used on pre-recorded discs and tapes, so you won't have any problem copying from Tivo. The newer Panasonic DVD recorders aren't very good machines, the JVC is a better machine with only a slightly higher price, the picture is better on the JVC too, look around and you can get it for the high side of your price range. Don't wait too long because I don't think they are still making the recorder alone, now they are VCR DVD combos.

6. Michael Reuben

You're new here. Look around, and you'll find a lot of satisfied owners of the Panasonic E80.

It's great that you're happy with your JVC unit. Perhaps you'd consider starting a thread with the model number and an evaluation of what makes it such a good machine.

M.

7. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

So far I have not tried to pass off a PPV movie to VHS, so I don't know if that is possible. My Tivo is hacked to 120 hours, so the three movies I have decided to keep are just archived on the HD of my GXCEBOT. I will try to "download" to tape and see what happens. DirecTV may not like it if we can make DVD copies of PPV movies so they may put something into the DirecTivo code to prevent it... I will find out tonight.

Although I do appreciate the help, I am only interested in a stand-alone recorder at the moment. I've taken a good look at that Akai unit I mentioned in the first post and it looks like it may fill the bill.

I don't know how reliable this Akai will be, but I'll just buy it with my CC and I should be covered for at least a year.

At the very least I will jave some interesting experiences to post.