What's new

PLEASE HELP! My reciever is messed up.. (1 Viewer)

TravisMc

Stunt Coordinator
Arg, well, the other night I was impressing some friends, playing with my klipsch reference 3 system

My reciever is a sony STR-DE685, yeah, the best buy special : (

Its 100x5 (or, more like 35x5, but ya know : ))

Anyways, Ive got it pretty loud, with only 4 things hooked up, My KSW-15 Sub, two RF3 Fronts, and the RC3 center

A sony n15 dvd player is hooked up too it.....

And I hear "Click" and "protect" is flashing on the recievers LCD......

"Odd, never happend before" I thought, because, I've had those speakers+two rear RS3 hooked up, and played it wide open for hours on end

I feel of the reciever, its very hot, but it usually gets this hot......(almost burn you to the touch)

I read in the manual, it says the protect mode is turned on when there is a short circut, so I unplug all the speakers, and plug them all in one by one

Basically, the center channel messes it up for some reason, it plays fine when just the sub and the two RF3's are plugged up, but when I hook up the center, it goes into protect as SOON as I hit 45 on the volume, plays fine till that level (reciever goes to 80)

I tried changing the wire to the speaker, etc

It didnt do anything : (

any ideas????

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It sounds like you are driving the amps in the receiver too hard. Have you set your speakers to LARGE or SMALL on the Sony receiver's setup? If they are not set to SMALL, make this change and try it again. This setting will redirect the lower bass frequencies to your powered subwoofer, and ease the load on the receiver's amplifers.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Same thing happened with my Denon. I had to send it to repair shop, blown something or the other.

I was doing the same thing.

TravisMc

Stunt Coordinator
Arg, you have nay more info than just that?

It just doesnt make any sense......It works perfect, till you get it loud

isnt there like, a "master reboot" or the eprom on the reciever, or something?

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Travis, I have had three Sony recevers & had the same problem before. My guess is you probably have done the same thing I have a couple of times & fried the tweeter or horn in your case. Try taking the jumpers out of your center & hook up the horn & woofers separate one after the other & see what happens.

When I first got my current system I had a defective tweeter on my center speaker that kept putting my recever into protection mode when you tried turning it up.
They are made to shut the system off if it sees too low of a load (which a burnt coil can do this) or if the recever is getting to hot.
Something I would suggest also if you are gonna run your recever hard, go to your local Radio Shack & get a cooling fan to run on it. They have 120volt brush less case fans that work perfect,you can get one for about $20.

By the way I wouldn't be so doubt full on how much power your recever actley puts out. I have seen several reviews on Sony recevers & they all put out well over their rated power levels (most of them with all ch driven). In fact there is a review in this months S&V I believe, on the DA3ES & it put out over 200 watts all ch driven & its only rated for 100.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 685 is a FAR cry from the 3ES...I agree with Travis's guess that it does not put out it's rated power. The ES line has a very respectable amp section, while the DE line definitely does not. In this case, I think the receiver simply does not have the ability to drive these particular speakers at the levels you are asking them to. Cooling fan is not the solution, a new receiver most likely is. The receiver should NOT get that hot to the touch. It is definitely being overdriven. Eventhough the RF3s are quite sensitive, they likely still draw plenty of current and the 685 can't keep up.

The sub should make no difference, so I would take a look at the other 3 first.

A blown tweeter is very possible, especially if the speakers were driven to distortion with insufficient current. If you can eliminate the speakers as the cause, then you know it is the receiver. Disconnect all the speakers and try each one, one at a time, and even each driver as Joe mentioned.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Are any wires touching? Perhaps a short in the wiring. This sometimes will not show until volume is turned up.

TravisMc

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I tried a few things, and it works PERFECT untill the center is hooked up.....

Which really sucks, because Its making me think that like yall said, I messed something up.....

But what kills me, is, up untill 45volume level, the center sounds fine........it doesnt sound blown at all........I Just dont understand : (

TravisMc

Stunt Coordinator
I just really dont see how it could be the speakers, basically, I have a friend who works at electronic express, who can by shiznit at cost.....and then, i buy it from him

Im thinking about just going ahead and getting away from sony, I really hate too, because All My stuff is sony, and I like matching brands......

Anyways.........damnit, I wish there was a way to fix this : (

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sony ES....

Matching brands doesn't really gain you a whole lot, IMO.

My TV, DVD and CDP are all Sony, but my receiver is Marantz because it sounds better than Sony ES to me. My ES CD player sounded better than the Marantz I had. Go with what is good, not just a name.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Travis I used to be the poster child for Sony. I had a Sony tv,dvd,dss,tape,cd,cassette player and remote.
Take this opportunity to try something else. You just may suprise yourself like I did.:D

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Have you tried hooking up the center speaker by itself to a non-center speaker post? Have you tried just the center hooked up? You really need to determine if it is the speaker causing problems or if there is a problem with your receiver.

cheers,

--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks