What's new

Please help me with TV problem! (1 Viewer)

Timur

Auditioning
I am seeing horizontal lines on my Toshiba 36 inch TV. They are not very obvious, but become more so when there is vertical motion on the screen. I have a Toshiba VCR and a Toshiba DVD player (using component video) and I see them from both inputs as well as from my cable connection. The lines are most prevalent a quarter of the way from the right side and a quarter of the way from the left side of the screen. They seem to be less noticeable toward the center and I think they completely disappear on all 4 edges of the TV screen. I used a Video Essentials DVD to tune the system, and it helped the picture a lot but didn't affect the lines. I disconnected the cable source and tried a different outlet, but it didn't make any difference. Does anyone have an idea what this could be?
Thanks,
Timur

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
How many and how thick?
On large ordinary interlaced TV sets, it is normal to "see the scan lines" when your eyes follow vertical motion. You might be seeing in effect a 240 scan line picture because of the alternate fading of even and odd scan lines every 1/30 sec. in sync with your eye movement.
How obtrusive this is also depends on the thickness of the scan lines which may vary slightly from left to right.
Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Timur

Auditioning
Thanks for your help. It's hard for me to tell how many there are. I would say at least 20 lines. One thing I did notice is that the lines are thinner when watching DVD then when watching video. I can try measuring them when I go home, but it very hard to get close to the monitor, see them, without getting tired. Also, when I switch the VCR input to L1 and get a blue screen, they are clearly visible as well (actually more than in any other instance), with no vertical motion present.
During viewing, when I raised the contrast, the lines became less intrusive.
Thanks,
Timur

ChrisV

Second Unit
I'm having the same problem with a new 36" Toshiba. I'm sorry, I can't help you because I haven't found out the source of the problem yet either. If you find a solution to your problem, please post it here so I can check it out. I'll do the same.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
I do not know if this is your problem or not but others at www.audioreview.com have complained, if memory serves, about moire patterns/problems on their 36 A series Toshiba sets.
good luck,
--tom

Timur

Auditioning
There is a new thread on this topic called "Please help with Toshiba 36" TV". I think they hit the problem on the nose. It seems to be a moire pattern and the solution seems to be to slightly defocus the TV.

Timur

Auditioning
The solution that Michael gave me on that other thread works! Adjusting the focus knob in the back of the TV (after taking off the cover) removes the moire pattern completely, so the picture is now perfect!
Regards,
Timur

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks