Please help me with sub hum

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ashford Little, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Ashford Little

Ashford Little Stunt Coordinator

I recently bought an Outlaw 1050 receiver (which I am very pleased with), but am experiencing what is most likely a ground loop hum coming from the subwoofer. I have read some posts in the past about this topic, but I would appreciate some specifics about what type of device to buy to eliminate this issue as well as exactly where to insert the device as well.

Currently, my system is fairly simple and consists of the 1050 acting as my control device, a Tandberg amp driving my mains, a Panasonic DVD player hooked up using toslink, and also a toslink connecting my satellite receiver.

I hope this is enough specifics, but if not then please let me know. BTW, the hum is coming from my subwoofer.

Thx,

2. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

Do you have an AC Filter or a line conditioner? If it's an AC problem that would probably get rid of your problem, Monster Cable, Panamax and some other companies make them, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Did you try a different cable to connect the sub with, do still get the problem with the cable unplugged from the sub, do you still get the prob with the cable connected to the sub but not connected to the 1050. You may have a loose connection in your sub or maybe a problem with your 1050 or sub cable. Did you have this problem before you had the 1050? If it's a hum doesn't necassarily mean it's a ground loop those aren't very common now a days, but if it is it's normally a problem with your cable not being properly grounded but I don't know if you will have this sort of problem with satellite. If that is what the problem is and your are running a the typical coaxial (f-pin rj6 whatever you want to call it) connection then you can buy the Mondial Magic Box it's about $100 that will rid your system of this problem.
    Here's some links:
    Magic Box:
    store.klipsch.com/list.asp?DepID=4&CtgID=4
    Monster Cable Line Conditioners:
    www.monstercable.com/power/
    These should work, hope this helps, also like I said don't just assume it's a ground loop prob it could very likely be a prob with either your sub, receiver or cable.
    Daniel Smith

3. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

just copy and paste the Magic Box link it will work I checked it.

Daniel Smith

4. Hyun K

Hyun K Stunt Coordinator

Ashford,

Here's my $0.47 solution. Try this before anything else to confirm the ground loop. Get a 3 prong to 2 prong cheater plug and use that on your sub's amp's plug. That should do it. If not, move on from there. I had this happen with my new SVS. I went over to home depot, got the adapter for a near 50 cents, and plugged it to my amp and no more hum.

5. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

Here's another, arguably safer option than using a cheater plug and not much more expensive.
    http://www.dplay.com/tutorial/cablehum.html
    There is a picture there of what worked for me. The culprit for me was the cable feed coming in to the TV, although it could also be (in other cases) the satallite feed too.
    Good luck!

6. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

7. Hyun K

Hyun K Stunt Coordinator

Sorry about advising that. In my experience, I've never had any problems with cheater plugs with a/v and non a/v equipment. It's funny then that SVS recommends the cheater plug remedy on their manuals if it's that dangerous and illegal. Has anyone on this board ever suffered the potential consequences of using a cheater plug? Call me hard headed... but even if it's dangerous and illegal, I'm going to continue to use the plug until I have some time to experiment with other remedies. I'll let you guys know if anything ever gets fried.

8. BruZZi

BruZZi Second Unit

Well, I've been using a cheater plug (Actually a DIY power cord with the ground wire not connected)over 5 years in different subwoofers with no problems at all. [​IMG]
    Don't like to use those cheater plugs because they are very cheap in my opinion

9. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

I have always been reluctant to lift the ground off of any equipment, A/V or otherwise. I tried the Hum Eliminator by Ebtech with excellent results. It cost about $50-$60 and is an expensive alternative to cheater plugs or in some cases hacksawing the ground plug off completely.

10. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

A contractor ran off while doing construction in my house due to cost overrun, leaving a whole bunch of tools behind. Pretty much all the 3 prong tools and extension cords have had their ground connector sawed off. Tells you how much they care about electrical safety.

11. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Using a cheater plug is just covering up the problem... you still have noise on your A/C line (99.99% of the time caused by the cable or DSS install). The noise from the CATV box can also travel via the interconnects (so power conditioners won't always fix the problem). Two 300ohm->75ohm converters (75->300->300->75) will break the ground shield on the coax cable & eliminate the noise in your system.

12. Ashford Little

Ashford Little Stunt Coordinator

Thanks everyone for their advice, I ordered a ground loop isolator from http://www.electrotex.com. Interestingly, when I checked my subwoofer power cord to see if the 0.75 cent solution would work until this arrived I was surprised to see a two prong plug vs. a three prong plug. Hmmm. Not sure what if anything that means, but the product is on the way.
    Thanks again,

13. Jim Garbern

Jim Garbern Stunt Coordinator

I had the same problem with a Hsu VTF-3, and Hsu himself recommends using the cheater plug, which is included with the woofer. After reading about the potential, fatal problems with this approach, and since I was also adding a Parasound 1205 I also got a Panamax 5100 and the hum has disappeared. As a dedicated HTFer, I always favor the $$$$ over the ¢ solution [​IMG]
    Jim