Please help me wire this up

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnMW, Dec 9, 2001.

1. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

I am having a heck of a time getting sound from my Hitachi 53UWX10B. I have my Motorola digital cable box audio and video composite cables going to the "tv/dbs" on the Denon 3802. I have the monitor out from the Denon going to the "input 1" connection on the Hitachi and I get a picture, but NO sound. I get sound from my VCR and DVD no problem.

Where do I hook up the audio composite cables to get sound for cable tv?

2. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

There should be an audio out (red and white) from your receiver. Hook this up to the audio input on the back of your TV. The audio input used should correspond to the video input you are using. A simple composite, S-Video or component cable does NOT carry audio, only video.

3. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

Are you using external speakers with your vcr & dvd or are you getting sound with those through your tv? If you have speakers in use, perhaps you have the tv audio cables hooked incorrectly to your Denon or you do not have analog selected in the set up menu for the tv input. (click the "mode" button) If you use your tv speakers, then the above post should do it.

4. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

Hi guys, it sounds like my post wasn't clear enuff for you all to make a conclusion. I apologize because my brain is overworked, lol.
    I realize that composite and component "video" cables are good for video only. I am using composite, not component, audio and video cables from the cable box to the denon 3802 tv/dbs input on the 3802. I run a composite video cable from the monitor out on the denon to the tv input 1 which has 1 video and 2 stero composite connections. I cannot figure out where to run the audio connections from the tv to the denon.
    In fact, if I am running the RG6 from the wall to the cable box, and from the cable box audio and video composite outputs to the denon tv/dbs input which has a a pair of stero and a video composite inputs, why would I need any stereo cables going to the tv for sound?
    [​IMG]
    What do I do?? [​IMG]

5. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

BTW, I have the tv speakers disabled since I have Klipsch reference speakers all around. I still can't think of what I may have hooked up wrong.

6. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

1) If your digital cable box has a digital out, use that insted of analog.

2) Are you sure the cable box is putting out sound. Try connecting the audio cables diectly to your TV. Also make sure the cable boxes volume control does not affect the composite audio level, if possible.

3) If the cable box is definitely outputting audio, double check the wiring to the back of your reciever and, as stated above, make sure your recievers input is set to analog, or auto maybe???

Pete

7. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Is your VCR HiFi, 4 head, stereo?

If so, the easiest way to get quality stereo cable sound is to run your audio (left right) out of your VCR into the VCR input on the 3802. Run your coax cable line into your VCR, then to the TV. Whenever you want cable sound through your receiver...just turn it to VCR1, make sure your VCR is on channel 3, and walla! Stereo sound. For some reason, the VCRs have a better stereo amplifier than MOST TVs. Try it out and see what you think.

Jeremy

8. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

Hi guys, would you believe I just got home from work and I switched the TV & Denon on, and I have sound while viewing cable tv? LOL, I have no idea why it started working all of a sudden. I guess I had it wired correctly the entire time.

Thanks so much!!