What's new

Please help me undertand projectors (1 Viewer)

Hi all!

I'm REALLY new to home theator.. all I know is, I want one! I'm looking at a catalog and I have no idea what I'm looking for.. I will be using my projector mostly for X-box and DVD.. and some HDTV (watching football and hockey).

I understand lumens.. but I can't figure out contrast ratio (I see 400:1, 1100:1 and 2000:1) .. is bigger the better?

Also, I see SVGA and XGA as the 2 different types of resolution.. what type do I want?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Rob,

Contrast ratio is the measurement of the difference in light intensity between white and black. It will make a difference. The higher the number the better.

The numbers are are not written in stone, at least not in HT. However, my computer geek (their term) friends tell me these are the numbers in monitors.

VGA 640 X 840
SVGA 800 X 600
XGA 1024 X 768
SXGA 1280 X 1024
OR UVGA
SXGA-W 1600 X 1024
UXGA 1600 X 1200

Basically, it's like anything else in HT. Find the best product you can afford. Make sure it has enough inputs for all of your equipment.

Check out Sony, Samsung, Epson and Runco websites to start out.

Good Luck,

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks