Please help me understand what is going on with my config.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ken thompson, Apr 10, 2002.

1. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

I have a Yamaha 2095 mated to Boston VR975 mains and VR12 center for my front soundstage in my HT. I was always feeling something was lacking when listening to music. I always enjoyed the sound of my old HK AVR40 so I incorporated between my DVD player (Sony330) and the Yammie. I have the DVD player connected to the Yammie via the digital outs for whatching movies and also to the HK CD input (analog out from DVD) which is then output to the CD input of the Yammie. Music is so much more pleasing this way. And the DSPs still work as well. I'm wondering what the effect of the HK is on this configuration. I'm assuming that I am still utilizing the amps in the Yammie. What in the HK is making the music sound so much better?

2. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

My guess is that originally, you only had the DVD player hooked up to the Yammy via the digital ouput. When you did that, you used the Yammy's DAC (digital-analog converter)for your CD listening. Now, since you're using the DVD's player analog output for CD playing, you're using the DVD's DAC.

From your comments, my guess would be you prefer the player's converter over the Yammy's. That's very common as DAC quality varies.

3. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

I thought it was along those lines but simply connecting the DVD player directly to the Yammie via both the digital and analog outputs does not yield the difference as when the HK is incorporated.