What's new

Please help me understand projector placement (1 Viewer)

Savage

Auditioning
Real Name
Cory
After a fire house fire in September, we are renovating the entire interior. We tore it down to the frame and started over. In the process I decided to add quite a few upgrades and the one I am most excited about is the media room. I closed in the upstairs family room which was open before, but will now close up with 60" french doors. The room is 22' long x 16' wide. Basically, the layout is like this. What I am trying to determine is where to place the projector. With the room being 22' long, I think this prevents me from placing the projector into the wall at the very back of the room in a built in cubby so it isn't hanging from the ceiling, basically over the heads of people sitting in the 2nd row seating. The screen will be about 12" from the wall it is hanging near, so that would be a throw distance of about 21', enough where I may lose picture quality/brightness? The projector I am buying is the new Epson Home Cinema 5010 2D/3D and I plan on buying a 120" screen. I wouldn't mind going up to 130" screen, but I think that may be too large with only 8' tall ceilings? Any advice would be appreciated.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings The larger your screen gets, the sooner you change out the light bulb. While most projectors say they can go to 200 to 300 inches ... that is rarely useable for any amount of time before it becomes too too dim. 120 is usually the top end for 16:9 screens ... As for throw distances ... think about camera lenses. Is the image on a 18-200 mm lens equally crisp at any point of the zoom? If you say yes then you don't know anything about lenses and we need another example. A lens ... is it equally sharp in the center as it is on the edges of the lens? Nope. Images get blurry and the colors break apart the closer you get to the edge. So the lens is at its best in and near the center of the glass. The closer you get the projector to the screen, the more you have to zoom out the lens and use more of the glass surface ... including the bad parts. The further back it is ... the image stays centered in the best part of the glass and the image is the most crisp ... This is where long throw lenses and short throw lenses come into play. go to projector central and play with the projector calculators there ... to figure out what works for your projector. regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks