What's new

please help me understand my options... I NEED IT! (1 Viewer)

27dnast

Agent
Real Name
Todd
I have a BD 390 blu ray player hooked up to an older (3 years old) Pioneer receiver via 7.1 Multichannel inputs (I have a VSX-1016). My Pioneer receiver does not have an HDMI audio input... and I opted to connect the blu ray player via the multichannel inputs because the BD player has on-board DTS-HD, etc. decoding built-in (my pioneer does not have the ability to decode those HD tracks). What I didn't realize is that the multi-channel inputs bypass the speaker settings I have on the amp.

I have tried running the sound from my BD player to my amp using an optical cable. I understand that this does not allow for DTS-HD to be used... but I've found there to be some lip-sync issues when I do that. Also, I've noticed that my sub (hooked up to my receiver via LFE cable) behaves differently when the BD player is decoding the audio and passing it to my amp via multi-channel 7.1 hook ups. What happens is that the sub is less active and only plays the lower lows (and not the mid range lows that come out of it when I switch the audio input to optical cable).

So, I've been considering getting a new amp. I've been interested in the new Elite VSX-21THX. It has the DTS-HD decoding on-board (obviously) and also has HDMI audio and video inputs. My assumption, all along, is that a new receiver connected to my blu ray player via HDMI will allow me to receive an audio signal from the blu-ray player that is equal to the current multi-channel set-up I have now, but will also allow the new receiver to all the decoding WHILE taking advantage of things such as bass management and my amps speaker settings. I'd also like to be able to bring in audio from the BD player that isn't 7.1 (say, a 5.1 track) and allow the receiver to turn it into 7.1.

My question is this, though: I've read one of the knocks on the VSX-21THX is that it only has 5.1 Multi-Channel inputs and not 7.1. Why would this matter???? Isn't the best option to have the audio coming out of your BD player via HDMI anyway? So why would anyone care about only having 5.1 multi-channel inputs. Outside of arguing over receiver models, etc., I'm hoping someone with some more experience might be able to confirm or dispell my assumptions (above) and help me understand my options. Thank you all and happy thanksgiving.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
When you had the BR player hooked up to the 1016 with the analog cables did you go into the BR players speaker setup menu and set the volume and distance levels? That may be why the sub volume was so low. Also, most BR players have a fixed cross-over point which may be lowerer than what you have the 1016 set to. That may be why you weren't getting the mid-level bass from your sub thru the analogs.

My assumption, all along, is that a new receiver connected to my blu ray player via HDMI will allow me to receive an audio signal from the blu-ray player that is equal to the current multi-channel set-up I have now, but will also allow the new receiver to all the decoding WHILE taking advantage of things such as bass management and my amps speaker settings.

Using the HDMI connection will allow the receiver to do the Bass Management as well as MCACC, Bas/Treble controls, etc. All the things you can't do with the analog in's.

Isn't the best option to have the audio coming out of your BD player via HDMI anyway?

Yes it is. You bring up a good point about 5.1 vs. 7.1 in an HDMI 1.3 receiver. Who cares? Use the HDMI's.

The 21THX will do what you're hoping it will do. Enjoy.

27dnast

Agent
Real Name
Todd
Thanks for the reply.

I have tried playing around with the settings in the BD speaker menu. They work "okay." But, in the end, I would rather have the receiver doing the bass management for the reasons I described.

I guess you confirmed my suspicion.... HDMI will work the same or (probably) better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks