What's new

Please help me troubleshoot my audio problem (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
(When answering my questions, please assume I know next-to-nothing about this; you won’t be far wrong)

I haven’t used my theater system much at all recently for a variety of reasons. I fired it up today to watch a movie and was surprised to find that the audio was coming from the L and R front speakers only; nothing at all from the rears, the center, or the sub. Just as I began fiddling with the connections on the back of the receiver, I lost all audio (and it remains lost).

I’ve tried all the obvious troubleshooting steps already: looking for disconnected cables, ensuring all power is on, and pushing all buttons in sight randomly and in every possible configuration.

I do have audio from the television (via the receiver) as well as the tuner and CD player; the problem resides within the DVD/receiver communication. I should also mention that when I test my speakers from within the receiver I hear a tone on each of the five speakers as it should.

The DVD player is a Sony (DVP-NS575P) and the receiver is a Pioneer (VSX-D510).

I run component cables from the DVD to the TV for video and use a coaxial cable from the DVD to the receiver for audio.

Now, here’s where I want to start: there are so many audio modes and options within the receiver, I’m baffled as to which I should be using. If someone could give me the lowdown on each of these (and which I should be selecting), that would be a good beginning.

On the receiver, there is:
1.A DIRECT button. Pushing this lights up a light on the panel that says DIRECT.
2.A MONITOR button. Pushing this lights up MONITOR and ANALOG together; pushing it again turns off the MONITOR light and changes the ANALOG indicator to DIGITAL.
3.A DVD5.1CH button. Pushing this alternates between DVD 5.1 CH and DVD/LD.
4.A DSP MODE button. Pushing this takes me through a menu of JAZZ, DANCE, THEATER, etc. After running through about seven of these, I can also select DSP OFF.
5.A SIGNAL SELECT button. This doesn’t seem to do anything, at least it changes no indicator lights.
6.A button that has a DOLBY icon/DTS. Pushing this lights up PROLOGIC or PROLOGIC-DSP. It also runs through another series of modes including ACTION, DRAMA, MUSICAL, EXPANDED and STANDARD. When STANDARD is selected, DSP is off (it’s on with all the others).

I have a feeling that some magic combination of these settings will get me my sound back. If anyone can enlighten me to these mysterious settings, or suggest another avenue of troubleshooting, I’d be appreciative.

If you need more information, please ask.

Thanks a ton,

Jon

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Keep the Monitor button disengaged.

Since everything's working but the DVD, I'd look there first. First I'd change the coaxioal cable between the player and the receiver, especially if you're sure it's connected properly.

Then check the menus in both the DVD player and receiver. For the DVD player, make sure it's using the setting that will output Dolby Digital. For the receiver, make sure the coaxial jack is assigned to the DVD input. Check your manuals if you're unsure how to do any of this.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
You're right, Wayne; the DVD player is shot (I substituted another and it worked fine).

I appreciate your input.

Jasen Chandler

Stunt Coordinator
You should have:

Speakers A selected
input: DVD
signal select: Digital
Monitor: off
DSP: standard
Listening mode: normal

If you started messing with connections and it died on you then you probably have a bad connection from DVD player to reciever.

Your DVD player should be connected from the digital coaxial out on the player to the digital coaxial in on the reciever with a single RCA style wire. This cable is probably the culprit.

Your sony will need to know it has to output digitally you can access its menu by removing the DVD closing the player and pressing menu, you will then access the quick menu. Set it up accordingly.

Try these things.

Just pushing buttons doesn't do anyone any good. Download your owners manual, read it and follow it. Pioneer tech support is also great

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member

Um, actually I was joking about that. :)

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Jasen.

I guess one thing I'm most confused with is why I get no audio when 5.1 is selected, but I do get audio when PRO LOGIC is displayed.

Jon

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
While I don’t know the specs of your exact model Jon, many Pioneer receivers use DVD 5.a or 5.1 to select the analog 5.1 inputs instead of one of the digital input options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks