Please Help Me Take The Route To Seperates!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Lauderdale, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Joe Lauderdale

Howdy Members!

I am currently using the Diva 6.1/C3/R3 Speaker Package powered by the Yamaha RX-V530 (5x75watts) as the pre/pro/amp along with a HSU VTF-3 sub.

My eye has been on a Rotel RMB-1095 (5x200watts) AMP for a while...

Which should I do....

Should I get the RMB-1095 now and use my Yammy as the Pre/Pro... since i figure amps will last a long time w/o having to upgrade... and I can always upgrade to true seperate pre/pro when the next generation of Audio formats are introduced.... Is the RMB-1095 overkill for Diva 6.1s? wasted AMPage?

Or should I go with a Rotel RMB-1075 (5x120watts) instead and add a Rotel RSP-1066 (or another decent pre/pro) as the pre/pro...this way i can save on interconnects by using the DB25 connector... and have matching silver face for the WAF.

My current Yammy has all the DD/DTS/DPL2/Matrix 6.1/etc processing features i really use... so a new RSP-1066 wouldnt really be an upgrade in that factor... but would the purchase in $$$ be worth the upgrade to a new pre/pro?

I am a 50/50 music/movie viewer...

I really don't want to spend LOTS of $$$ at the moment... Although I want a good product! I want to move to components since with the purchase of a new home, I'd like to make this my new hobby! I hear so often that components are the way to go as far as clearity and such... and that upgrading each component makes upgrading easier.

I thought I'd leave this question to the PROs!

If you can help me in anyway...please hit the reply button! ~Thanks!

Joseph

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Both sound like fine options, but, if I had to choose, I'd buy the the 1095 now and save up for a pre/pro later. By the way, despite what some people may say, adding a dedicated amp yields huge sonic dividends, in my opinion. It transformed my system. I'd also like to add that I bought the Rotel pre/pro with the silver face plate and it definitely does meet all WAF criteria. [​IMG]

3. Krzysztof W

Krzysztof W Extra

Hi

I did have Yamaha RVX-630 with Def-Tech speakers. I got myself Rotel processor 1066 and 1075 amplifier. The difference was huge. Both component made an immense impact. I think that if you are into movies you may consider to add only amplifier, but if at least 50% of your time is music than RSP 1066 is a must. The music either in 2-channel stereo or in DSP modes (you must get a unit with the lates software for that) is incredible

Krzysztof W

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Krzysztof is correct. I forgot the two channel music aspect. The Rotel pre/pro is excellent in this regard. I didn't have a Yamaha, but an Onkyo. The Rotel pre/pro wiped it out here. In home theater, there was a significant difference, but not nearly so much as with music. Now, I just sit for hours on end listening to CD's again.

5. Mike Ilano

Mike Ilano Extra

Joe
    I agree with DanaA,you can get the 1095 then buy the pre/pro later or if you could swing it get the 1066/1095 package.I've had my 1066/1095 for 2 months now,it replaced a Marantz SR-18 which I thought was pretty good but this Rotel combo sounds better. [​IMG]

6. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

You can find the Marantz AV9000 for a little over a grand (2400 retail) buy it, put the Hohumammer in the bedroom, put it on the big Rotel and forget about it for awhile, or sell the reciever on ebay or some such.
    You will only be as good as your weakest link, again if you can find the Marantz right do it, I would not advise paying retail for the AV9000 but at a grand. . .