What's new

Please help me spend $2,000.00 on a Plasma TV! (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Hello everyone!

I'm back in the display forums (at least for now). It's been a little while since I've been shopping for a TV Display and I'm getting excited about the possibilities again. I'd REALLY like to get at least a 42" or bigger plasma. I'm looking to spend around $2,000.00, but can go a little higher if it will significantly improve picture quality or features.

I know I should consider the following brands:

Panasonic
Pioneer
Samsung

Does anyone have any suggestions for the models (or even other brands) I should seriously be looking at? Are calibration standards different for Plasmas than RPTVs?

Heinz W

Second Unit
I'm not so sure you can get a good plasma for $2,000. The lowest I've seen has been around $1800 for some no-name brand ED set. I think you might be better off looking at some other display types for that money. One thing is certain, it won't be HD.

I wouldn't buy a low-end plasma myself, it's just asking for trouble IMO. Does it HAVE to be plasma?

I'm in the same boat as you, getting ready to buy a new set with the same budget. I ruled plasma out almost immediately due to the bang-for-the-buck factor. I'm limited by space so I need something no bigger than 36". The leading candidate for me at this point is the Sony KD-34XS955, a 34" 16:9 CRT tube set with a built-in HD tuner.

So why get a low-end plasma when I can get a high-end tube set? However, I realize you want a larger screen size so CRT tube is out for you.

Another thing to consider: What will use the set for? If you watch DVDs 80% of the time plasma would be okay, but if you watch a lot of cable or play games plasma is not a good choice.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The cheap plasma sets are about as good as the pioneers and other name brands ... (from 4 years ago.)

Mediocre contrast and crappy blacks.

Regards

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Well, now that I've been considering it a little bit, I think I'd rather spend the $2k on a nice Mitsubishi Rear Projection set. I've always wanted to have one, so maybe I'll seriously investigate the Mits. I know they're the best RPTVs out there for color (after red push is taken care of) and the fact that they do 480p native.

KenWong

Stunt Coordinator
Alrite.. I know the mits is awesome, and their RPTV are very good as well. However, I wouldn't rule out one $2k plasma yet. Take a look at the 42 inch LG/Zenith one. Side by side next to pioneer HD plasmas, yeah, there's a difference, but everyone would agree that its well worth the retail price of 2299. It's a ED plasma, however, you should take a look first. And no, this is not some Akai or even Sampo- Costco brand. -Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks