Please help me spend $2,000.00 on a Plasma TV!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Brian Harnish, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Hello everyone!

I'm back in the display forums (at least for now). It's been a little while since I've been shopping for a TV Display and I'm getting excited about the possibilities again. I'd REALLY like to get at least a 42" or bigger plasma. I'm looking to spend around $2,000.00, but can go a little higher if it will significantly improve picture quality or features.

I know I should consider the following brands:

Panasonic
    Pioneer
    Samsung

Does anyone have any suggestions for the models (or even other brands) I should seriously be looking at? Are calibration standards different for Plasmas than RPTVs?

2. Heinz W

Heinz W Second Unit

I'm not so sure you can get a good plasma for $2,000. The lowest I've seen has been around $1800 for some no-name brand ED set. I think you might be better off looking at some other display types for that money. One thing is certain, it won't be HD.

I wouldn't buy a low-end plasma myself, it's just asking for trouble IMO. Does it HAVE to be plasma?

I'm in the same boat as you, getting ready to buy a new set with the same budget. I ruled plasma out almost immediately due to the bang-for-the-buck factor. I'm limited by space so I need something no bigger than 36". The leading candidate for me at this point is the Sony KD-34XS955, a 34" 16:9 CRT tube set with a built-in HD tuner.

So why get a low-end plasma when I can get a high-end tube set? However, I realize you want a larger screen size so CRT tube is out for you.

Another thing to consider: What will use the set for? If you watch DVDs 80% of the time plasma would be okay, but if you watch a lot of cable or play games plasma is not a good choice.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The cheap plasma sets are about as good as the pioneers and other name brands ... (from 4 years ago.)

Mediocre contrast and crappy blacks.

Regards

4. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Well, now that I've been considering it a little bit, I think I'd rather spend the $2k on a nice Mitsubishi Rear Projection set. I've always wanted to have one, so maybe I'll seriously investigate the Mits. I know they're the best RPTVs out there for color (after red push is taken care of) and the fact that they do 480p native.

5. KenWong

KenWong Stunt Coordinator

Alrite.. I know the mits is awesome, and their RPTV are very good as well. However, I wouldn't rule out one $2k plasma yet. Take a look at the 42 inch LG/Zenith one. Side by side next to pioneer HD plasmas, yeah, there's a difference, but everyone would agree that its well worth the retail price of 2299. It's a ED plasma, however, you should take a look first. And no, this is not some Akai or even Sampo- Costco brand. -Ken