Please help me sort out the sound in my HT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dom H, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Dom H

Dom H Agent

Equipment
    Sony 536 DVD
    Sony STR-DB930 Receiver
    B&W 602 S2's Front (reach down to about 55Hz)
    B&W 601 S2's Rear
    PC connected to receiver w/dig coax
    Recording software (cool edit 2k)
    Microphone
    Room
    12ft * 13ft * 8ft (ish)
    Mixture hard walls & soft furnishings
    Absorbers placed to minimise early reflections
    The problem
    Vocals on DVDs get very 'confused' sounding with mod/high volume. Very peaky sound, you can hear the peaks hit your ears at points (make sense?). Do I need EQ?
    Here is a recording of a 20 second 60-1000Hz sweep, microphone placed at seating position.
    [​IMG]
    What would people recommend?
    There is a simple EQ section on the receiver giving +/-10dB 100Hz to 10kHz.
    Thanks in advance
    Dom.
    [Edited last by Dom H on September 19, 2001 at 11:34 AM]

2. Dom H

Dom H Agent

Someone must have some advice? [​IMG]

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You didn't mention a center channel? Unless you have 3 602s up front? Could be your center channel setting if you do not have one, which should be "phantom" on that receiver, I believe. If you have it set to any mode that tells your system you do have a CC when you do not, you may hear part of the signal missing from the R & L fronts, giving you "gaps" in sound.
    Second guess would be some sound setting on the DVD player itself (I've never heard of that model Sony, unless you meant 530). It could either be a DSP mode or something in your setup for the signal you are sending to the receiver.
    Are you using analog or digital to the receiver?
    Have you set up the system using test tones and an SPL meter?
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

4. Dom H

Dom H Agent

I do have a center but it is turned to off most of the time as I prefer it for sweet spot listening.
    Also there is no dsp's turned on.
    All I did was create the sweep in the audio program on the pc, play it through the receiver (connected by coax) in 2 ch mode and record the output via mic in the seating position.
    I'm sure it's the room creating the peaks, any ideas?
    [Edited last by Dom H on September 20, 2001 at 01:11 PM]

5. ThucN

ThucN Agent

Is the microphone that you used to record the tone accurate? Was it a $10 microphone you can buy at any old store, or did you use the Radio Shack SPL meter output?
    ------------------
    TqN

6. Dom H

Dom H Agent

It was one of those cheapy plastic white pc mics.
    Would a better quality mic be a wise purchase?
    There is definitely peaks in the sound, just listening to the sweep through the main speakers, the amplitude is all over the place!
    Thanks again, hope this gets sorted cos I really miss having it up loud.
    I can record a full sweep if you like say 20-20k if that would help?
    Dom.
    [Edited last by Dom H on September 21, 2001 at 10:10 AM]

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Dom: some programs that do RTA (Real Time Analysis) recommend that you use a calibrated microphone like the Mighty-Mike II or others. These microphones are NOT perfect, (but better than the cheap ones) but they come with a sheet of paper listing compensation numbers. The RTA software usually has a place to enter these numbers to compensate for the microphone.
    Search the internet for "Real Time Analysis" and you will find the web pages for PC programs like Spectra, Seven-Shades and Sound-Lab. The guys at SVS like Spectra, but the Seven Shades sofware is specifically designed to help you equalize a sound system (although they talk more about car-stereo installs rather than HT). The Sound Lab software seems to give you more options, but it's more like software for physics students.
    Once you get a good picture of your room response, then you can use something like the Behring Feedback Destroyer to tame the peaks that are causing your distorted sound. Search the Advanced Topics fourm for lots of duscussion of this unit.
    Good Luck.