What's new

Please help me select a display device... (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I used to have a pretty extensive DLP setup in my old condo: Digital Projection Ivision HDX through HD Leeza (scaler) with 5 channel Speakercraft 8.8 MT setup through an Arcam P7 and AV8 with a B&W ASW 855 sub. This wasinstalled about 8 years ago. I've since sold the condo, moved to another city, and put most of the hardware into storage, the rest to be sold. I'm now living in a small single bedroom apartment with my wife, and without a television as of yet. I'd like to change that ASAP because wathicng movies on my 17" laptop in bed is no fun! Here's my dilemma - I have no space for a television; neither wall-mounted or free standing! I'm not quite sure what to do. Projection is out of the question as we're renting and cannot start running extensive wiring through the walls. I've sold off some of my previous hardware and stacking new amps, speakers, etc. is not possible. I'm looking at televisions now, but unsure of what to do... I'm an audio/videophile and HT enthusiast and I'm finding it difficult to compromise. What are the best small model HDTV's on the market currently with bang for buck built-in audio, and is there anything that's compact enough that it could possibly be stuck behind a door when not in use and pulled out + plugged in when ready to watch movies? My sole interest in owning a television is to screen DVDs and BluRays. I don't care about web streaming or 3D or on-demand content or anything else. I wonder if there's a slim and streamlined screen that performs as well as any other, and could be dragged out of the closet for movie time without having to recalibrate every time it's fired up; does that sound totally crazy? Otherwise, what are the best small screen options that I could possibly (try) to stick in a corner somewhere... and dors anyone haver any alternative suggestions? Thanks so much!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Problem... 1. There are no LCD that sound decent, none(not since Mitsubishi exited the LCD market...and they aren't small enough anyway). 2. You haven't given much of an indication of "where" you are even putting this thing while watching it. 3. Put away and "out" won't make that much difference. My suggestion is to hang it on the door. Use an "over the door" hanger like you would hang towels on. Then just run an HDMI to it. It would be relatively easy to make a towel holder bolt into a VESA mount. That way the TV is away and mounted all at the same time.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thank you Sam! It will almost surely end up in our bedroom, as that would be the least intrusive and most practical space. Why do you suggest that a "put away/take out" setup wouldn't work? I would be less concerned about it taking up space if we went that route as I wouldn't mind plopping it down right in the middle of the room, so long as it were a fairly simple and easy task to setup each time. Behind the door would not work out well because our bedroom door (and all doors in our apartment) are positioned in the far corner of each room at poor viewing angles. We also have a wall mounted shelf string unit that would partially block it's view. Of the smaller models on the market - or HDTVs that I might look for second hand if no longer being manufactured - what would you best recommend for overall A/V quality? I don't reckon this will ever come close to matching my previous HT setup, but I would like to still do the best I can with what little I have in the new apartment... Thanks for your help!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Are there any companies manufacturing 37" Plasma screens anymore? I should also note that the vast majority of films that I watch are standard 4x3 aspect ratio. Should I be looking at LED LCDs instead? A huge requisite is that if I'm watching standard format source material that the sidebards should be black and not distracting grey as so many televisions come nowadays.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I just looked at Amazon and there were several 37-inch TV's. They were LED or LCD, though.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
lots of 37" ish choices. LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Sony. (none of which are plasma...which would not be a great choice, especially if having to move it around).

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I've poured over every inch of floor space and have figured out how to do this... I am now looking at a 37-40" display and would like the best performance on the market. I'm not familiar with what's currently available, but I suppose an LED is probably the way to go, right? Cost aside, what would you suggest is the best all around choice? I should note that the viewing angle will be set off to a side of the room, so we would be positioning our heads 1/4 to the side of the room from our bed, with the television positioned diagonally. Not ideal, but it's the only way to make it work. It will remain static; ie. not moved around. A streamlined shilouette would be best, but my primary concern is with A/V. Audio will be entirely self-contained, so I'm hoping for something that performs fairly well with the stock built-in speakers. Majority of source material is SDVD and some BR. Mostly 4x3 content. Would like something with good sound and image reproduction (no enhancements), strong, blacks, no motion blur, non reflective display, etc. What's the best out there guys?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I don't understand how there cannot be any wall space for a small 37" TV. Are you saying mounting it is not allowed by your landlord?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
42" is the smallest plasma. And I would not buy a plasma if you plan to "move it often". You can buy 720P plasma for $500. A 720P $500 plasma is going to blow away any "similarly priced" LCD...cause most of the LCD $400-$500 37"-40" are non-brand ODM* crap. *ODM...Original Design Manufacturer...also known as the "the name on it isn't really who made it". Funai leads the market in ODM...and "their brands" are Philips/Magnavox, RCA and AOC. About the only "bargain LCD" worth buying are Haier. Haier is where Goldstar "was" back before the Lucky/Goldstar merger. (for those keeping score..Goldstar became LG "overnight") http://www.amazon.com/Haier-LE42F2280-42-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B008005TXU/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361317631&sr=1-3&keywords=haier+42%22 The ones to stay away from at all costs are the TCL ODM. Those are Seiki and Sceptre.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
No Jim, there's simply zero wall space left as we have cabinets, floating shelf units, framed art, etc. and large wraparound bay windows in each room. It's just not practical or possible. I'm looking for a slim sihlouette 37-40" LED that can rest on a TV cart or small piece of furniture (I'll figure that out later!) that performs as high as possible given the limitations in both audio and video capabilities. Is there one company (Samsung?) that I should look at for highest quality LEDs or is it really dependant from one model to the next and can anyone offer some recommendations based on everything I've described? Thanks so much!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I just posted the following on AVS, hopefully this will help to narrow down my needs and offer suggestions: 1. Budget: $3,000 2. Seating distance: Roughly 7.5 Ft. 3. Size/placement limitations: 32-40" + awkwardly angled (diagonally) to the side of the room. 4. Uses and sources: Standard DVD (mostly 4x3 b&w content) and Blu Ray (Oppo BDP-83). 5. Room lighting: Situated in front of large wrap-around bay windows with functioning venetian wood slats; well lit at all times from overhead fixture. I'm not interested in any bells and whistles, smart apps, online content streaming, 3D, etc. AUDIO + VIDEO quality are the central focus. I have limited and restrictive space, so the stock built-in speakers are an important feature. A slimlined sihlouette would be highly preferred. Due to sizing restraints, an LED is probably the way to go. Full native HD resolution is a requisite. I'd greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions as to the best all-around AV quality display on the market within my size limtations; the smaller the better! Thanks so much!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I don't see what your issue is... that is the max. end of my budget scale. I'd rather spend $300 than $3000 but I'm evidently not informed about HDTVs as I've had DLP projection in my HT for the past 8+ years. Your advice and suggestions would be far more helpful and advantageous to me, and I would be greatly appreciative. Other factors that I neglected to mention as requisites: full-backlit and without bleeding as I watch films in a pitch dark room at night. Every last review I've read across all the brands from Samsung to Sony and Toshiba seem to be a compromise as the smaller LEDs appear to be marketed as budget options, and performance apparently suffers in many respects on most. So my question is... what is truly the best out there? I can't go above 40" for space purposes; I'd prefer something slim and streamlined. 37" is preferable but only if it matches the performance of the best 40" models and offers 1080p resolution. So what do you recommend? Where should I begin looking?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't have an issue here. "Really good" 37" does not exist. The "market has spoken" and 50" is the new 32"(from back when 31/32 tube was "big") Fact of the matter is, you can buy a 50" TV for less than you could buy a 32" TV back in 1993.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I'm willing to go 40" for better A/V options... any suggestions in this range? I've browsed Panasonic, Sharp, Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, etc. and have not found anything stand-out yet. Where should I start? Is there not a benchmark for 40" backlit LED's?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This is one of the better 40"...I stay away from Samsung... http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-40L5200U-40-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B0077E47SI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361323766&sr=1-1&keywords=40%22+lcd+toshiba In the marketplace... 37-39" is the "bargain" 40" is the middle 42" is the "smallest" of the better TV. Typically the better TV are sold 42/46/55+ Middle TV are sold 32/40/55 Bottom TV are sold 26/32/37-39

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thank you Sam! In my searches, I noticed that Panasonic is coming out with a TC-P42S60 42" plasma... now that'd be really pushing the boundaries of available space in our bedroom and my wife would probably kill me, but I wonder if you've heard anything good about this forthcoming model? I assume a 42" plasma would blast even the best 40" LED into orbit... I wish there were more options for smaller sized displays that didn't take budget into consideration! I'll read more about that Tosh... thank you again!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks