Please help me place acoustic panels

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Shane Morales, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

I'd like to put up some acoustic panelling in my room, but I have the unfortunate issue of the first reflecting points being a flimsy door and a window. Look at the pics below and you'll see what I mean.

Right Side:
    I sit in the left chair. This shot really exemplifies the problem. There is a bit of bare wall directly to the right of the window where I could put a panel, and I probably will, but that leaves the window still to deal with.
    [​IMG]

Left Side:
    On the left side you can see the crap ass flimsy door and how it is the first reflecting point for the left speaker. Maybe I should cover the whole door in panelling?

See that seat in the corner with a pillow on it? There's about 5' of barewall there that you can't see in the picture. I'll probably put panelling there too, but, as with the other side, it still leaves the first reflecting point to deal with.

[​IMG]

I'm also considering putting some panelling on the ceiling and behind the speakers (omni-polar).

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. SteveLeach

SteveLeach Stunt Coordinator

Did you try the mirror on the wall trick? You sit in your listening position. Then have a buddy move a mirror down the wall. When you can see the speaker in the mirror, that is the 1st reflection point. Repeat on the opposite wall for the other speaker. I suggest this because the reflection point may not be where you think they are.
    hope this helps

3. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Yep, I sure did try that. Disappointingly, the door and the window are the 1st reflecting points. Mostly, anyway.

I talked this over with my wife and she agreed that hanging a panel over the window would probably be the best idea. Y'know, hang it on hooks or something so we can take it off in case we want to let some light in. It's a start.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I take it you're 'thinking' of something like the DIY panels. There's other approaches, but let's say we back up a bit.

You've found the first reflection point. Now you need to do a bit of experimentation to find out just how much of the area you need to 'treat' in order to get the sound the way you like it. If you've got some heavy blankets that you can put up on the wall and play around with how much area you need to cover, that'd be a great start. As opposed to acoustic panels for the area where the window is, you might also want to think about something like heavy type shades like roman shades. A pretty good place to get those is at www.abwf.com and it gives your wife a chance to spend a few bucks and do some decorating. ABWF is a pretty good place and I'll tell you, as much as I hate wallpapering, their prices are pretty spectacular. If you need more room to the left and right of the window because you've determined it from your blanket test, you can always put some kind of heavy type drapes that pull back to either side.
    For the door...gee, I guess you can use the acoustic panel and you can always have it covered in some kind of fabric that your wife likes. Same thinking applies here in that more room to either side can simply incorporate additional panels, covered with the same or complementary fabric according to your wife's sense of how things ought to look.

5. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Hi,
    I usually jump in on discussions on acoustical treatments to say "don't forget the ceiling". IMO, treating the ceiling first reflection point is just as important as treating the walls. Makes a huge difference in both multi-channel and two-channel listening. It helps clear up the center channel especially. Good luck, Shane.

James

6. SteveLeach

SteveLeach Stunt Coordinator

That's a good point about the ceiling's first reflection point. I would have missed it, thanks...

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

And that too can be done tastefully...where's Martha Stewart when we need her?