please help me pick speakers for this setup

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JimmyGreen, May 30, 2006.

1. JimmyGreen

JimmyGreen Auditioning

I would like to get some opinions on my installation. I am building a home with a large room setup and I am about to install in-wall Jamo speakers:
    The fronts (L) (R) would be the 8.5K4
    The Center would be the 626.K
    The rears would be the 8.521K4

The installer asks me:
    Do you want one or two 10" or would you want one or two 8" subs?

Any help on what to do here? I am going to put in a dedicated theater room in the basement next, but this room will still be used alot for HDTV, movies, and gaming. I have an older Denon reciever that I got at Sear's almost 9 years ago. No idea right now what it is, but I will get it posted ASAP. I am told that it can push these speakers well enough, but it is next to get upgraded anyway.

I can still go with a totally different setup altogether. Right now I am somewhere around $1900. It's been a while since I was on because I am still in Iraq and this is the best place I know to get advice. Thanks for any help.

Jimmy

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome aboard, Jimmy. Your question has been moved from the Receivers/Amps area to the appropriate location. Best of luck. JB

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

They don't list frequency response for their in-wall subs. I looked at their box subs and one 8" model is only rated down to 40Hz and one 10" model is rated down to 35Hz. If you can assume that these roughly translate the same to the in-wall subs then I would definitely go with the 10", but a non-in-wall sub may be a better option if acceptable in this room.

If you need to go with in-walls, then I would probably shoot for 2 of the 10" model.

4. Ryan_Sk

Ryan_Sk Auditioning

I am looking for new speakers. My receiver is a STR DE 485. I'm thinking bookshelf speakers since I mostly listen to CDs. What I want is something clean, but also power.

To be honest though, I'm not sure where to begin in the speaker world beyond choosing a brand that is a speakers only brand. How much can my little receiver handle?