What's new

Please help me pick out a center channel (1 Viewer)

I have a Harman Kardon AVR225 with 4 JBL LXE330 speakers. Currently they are in parallel on the front channels of the receiver. I also have a JBL PSW1000 sub. Right now, They are configured in a 2.1 setup, but I want surround sound so I am looking for a 5.1 path.

These speakers are almost 10 years old, so I'm not sure which center channel could I get that would tonally match these speakers. Or would I just be better off getting 5 new matched speakers?

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
You do have some options.

-You could probably find another set (EBAY)from the same series and use one of the speakers for the center.

-You could use 3 of the 4 for your front soundstage and pick up some E30's or N26 for your rear surrounds. Having the 3 front speakers identical will allow for a seamless transition for HT.

-As the LXE330 use a full 1" titanium tweeter, you could look for a used S center (this also uses a 1" titanium tweeter).

-Currently the EC35 can be picked up for $140 shipped. This uses a 3/4" titanium laminate tweeter. A great center and should be close.

As a side note. I bought 2 pr. of JBL 940. These are older monster tower speakers. I plan on using 3 of them for the front three...

Thank you those are great ideas. Certainly a lot cheaper then buying a whole new setup.

Would I be able to bridge (my amp is 4 ohm stable) two of those speakers to be the center channels? Or would that overpower the left and right channels too much?

I'm thinking aesthetically, one of those speakers would not be the most attractive.

I hooked up two LXE330 as left and right fronts and the other two in parallel as a center channel. These sound awesome!! I plugged in Gladiator and it made an amazing difference. Now I need some rear speakers. Any suggestions?

Eventually, I would like to get a real center channel speaker and some floor standing left and right fronts. I have heard a lot about Axiom, and I am interested in trying them out. Would it be a good idea to get the QS8s now, and upgrade my front stage later? Would these sound good enough with my JBLs until I can afford to upgrade the rest of the system?

I will not hesitate to spend up to several thousand on my speakers, but it will be over some time. What other brands should I be looking at? I'm thinking I'll buy rears first, and then save up for new fronts and a center at the same time. Then I'll buy a sub, and last, I'll upgrade my receiver.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Colin+M

Stunt Coordinator
I got my JBL EC35 at digital1234 dot com( i can't link yet)for $143.93 shipped and it got here pretty fast. i would recommend that site for this particular speaker. Mine came in perfect condition. Check them out, its still on sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks