What's new

Please help me pick a TV (1 Viewer)

Shaun_David

Auditioning
Hi guys,
I know nothing much at all about TVs or home theater stuff. I'm thinking of getting a new TV and maybe a surround sound system. For the TV here are the models I was thinking of:

Hitachi 65SWX20B
RCA HD65W140
Sony KP65WV700
Toshiba 65HDX82

And for the surround sound packages these are the models:

Sony DAVC990
Polk Audio DS7200
Panasonic SC-DT300

Could you guys tell me whats the best from those and maybe some pros and cons for each system. Also if there is maybe some other brands or products I should be looking at as well. And also if you guys see any good reviews for any of the products please post the URL on here so I could check it out.
Thanks for all your help everyone.

Shaun

Shaun_David

Auditioning
Anyone at all? I'm on for the next couple of hours and I'd love some stuff to read right now, if anyone has any good reviews on any of those products please let me know.
Thanks
Shaun

Dan Ponze

Stunt Coordinator
I say go for the Hitachi. I love that set. For the HTIB, also take a look at the new Onkyo 5 disc with Progressive Scan. It's super nice for a retail price of $899.

Matthew_F

Stunt Coordinator
I would say you should go with the Hitachi TWX series. It's top of the line since it's better than the SWX series. Better video processor, focus and sheild. It's like the XWX which is the flagship model but without the HDTV decoder built in.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I would avoid the home theater in a box........ personally i dont much like them, they can be quite limiting. and trust me when i say dont rush into buying any of this, the more research you to the happier you will be. i knwo i bought my first receiver without doing any research and i really regret it. ive been putting off upgrading it for a while now cause its only 2 years old, but still it dosent have enough inputs and the sound could be better. I would strongly suggest you read up on receivers and then try listening to some speakers, if you go to a decent store you should be able to listen tot heir speaker set ups and see what you like best, as well if you buy everything at once from the same place you should be able to swing a deal thats close to the price of a HTB but much better quality.

I would also suggest looking at PSB speakers, i ahve the alpha intros and i love them, they are amazing.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
If your going with a HTiB (no flame here), go with the Onkyo HTS-650. Comes with a 150 watt sub (active). It is head and shoulders above the Sony DAV systems. This system is w/o DVD player around $499.

Ken_VW

Grip
I just last week finally made my decision, so I am a newcomer to home theater, but not to good sound. I was sure I wanted a Sony "dream system" and had decided on the model, etc.....until I listened to an audio CD on the Onkyo HT-S650 theater-in-a box. I spent a fair amount of time comparing the sony, a kenwood, and the onkyo. I am totally happy with my system. I know I would have been disapointed with the sony, and the kenwood sounded to muffled and bassy for me.(on music)
Whatever you buy, get better speaker wires than the ones that came with it. You won't believe the difference. My wires are 12 ga @ 36 cents per ft.(Lowe's)
I fully realize that others would consider my stuff inferior, but for the money, I think it's great. If you are on a tight budget, don't forget to cost in the cables you will need. I've got about 130.00 in cables so far and still need a couple more.(but they are worth it.)

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks