Please help me out with decision.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard_S, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I'm ready to make my big upgrade. Right now I'm choosing between the Elite 49tx and the Denon 4802 receivers. The difference is $1000CDN. Since I also have other components I want to upgrade but probably can't do everything all at once I was wondering if it's worth paying the $1000 for the better receiver relative to using the extra $ to upgrade speakers. Here's my system

Paradigm:

CC450

ADP150s

Studio 60s

PS1200 sub

I'm thinking that my Studio 60s are keepers. But between the CC450, ADP 150s, and PS1200 which one should I place my upgrade priority on? I'm thinking the ADP150s, CC450, then the PS1200. But if the PS1200 is good enough I'll spend the money on adding rear centers since i want to make use of the receiver's 7.1 capabilities.

But should I save money on the receiver or should I really ought to buy the 49tx? Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Howard_S

Any help please?

3. Howard_S

Can anyone please help me? I am really itching to make a decision soon.

4. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I'd get the Denon and upgrade your sub to at least the pw2200. Are you Paradigm's version 1's? I'm trying to think of better ways to redistribute the money.

5. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

I think you are right about the adp150's. I would upgrade those to the studio ADP's. I have them and absolutely love them. The center channel is fine, and I don't know what you would want to upgrade that to? If you upgrade to the 150's, perhaps you could move them to the rear center channel. Good luck with your upgrade.

Brandon

6. Howard_S

Thanks for your responses. Yes my Paradigms are version 1s. So you guys think I should upgrade my sub? I would love to get the Servo 15. But where would my PS1200 go?

I am thinking of getting the Studio ADPs and make the 150s as rear centers as a short term measure and get another set of ADPs or Studio 20s as my rear centers in the future.

So my center speaker is a keeper? The studio CC won't be too much of an improvement to warrant an upgrade right?

So you think I should 1) upgrade side surrounds 2) upgrade sub 3) add better rear centers? 4) Upgrade my fronts (which I don't really plan to do)

As for the receiver. I am really tempted in getting the 49tx but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $1000. Since I'll be upgrading my DVD player and at least a pair of side surrounds I'm afraid I might be going overboard. But since my last upgrade was 4 years ago and probably will take that long upgrade cycle would the 49tx provide me with a lot more enjoyment in the next 4 years?

7. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Go for the Denon 4802, and plunk the extra money down on an SVS Sub, and a pair of Studio ADP's.

The should be fine for now. You have some great gear to begin with......

I think you will love the Denon/Paradigm Combo It's my personal favorite, and seems to be what the Majority of this forum prefers.

Down the road, throw a few Parasound Amps into the mix. With those Paradigm Studios, now your talking true Audio Bliss!!!

8. Howard_S

If I am to go with the Denon 4802 I think I might wait for the 47tx since they will most likely be similarily priced. I've been hearing too many good things about the new Elites to not give them a listen.
    Would amps make my HT sound better? I know it's suppose make audio sound better.
    As for sub I think I'm going to go with the Servo 15 unless I manage to win the SVS contest. [​IMG]
    So the vote is to save money on the receiver?

9. Howard_S

I'm also wondering if I would hear much of a difference between the 49tx and the 4802. Would I be better off using the money to upgrade my sub? Does the difference in receiver quality not give enough difference in sound?