What's new

Please help me make up my mind on a these receivers... (1 Viewer)

James USAF

Agent
Military member here asking for assistance in picking one of the following receivers (or another one if someone suggests...)

1) Denon AVR-3803
2) Harman Kardon AVR-525
3) Marantz SR7300
4) Onkyo TXSR800

I was almost sold on the HK until I heard something about it possibly skipping after you pause DVDs? Also something about some delay when you start a DTS movie.

Then I was almost sold on the Marantz until I heard that it might have some problem with a high pitch whine?

Then I was almost sold on the Onkyo until I heard that the sound quality was not as good as the HK or Marantz.

As far as the Denon...I have no idea.

I have a set of Athena speakers on there way and after tonight I have really no clue on which receiver I should purchase. So...if someone would be kind enough to give me their opinions ... or possible another model (within the 700-1000 price range) I have just become :confused: so I am asking someone (or a lot of you) to help me make up my mind...;)

CurtisC

Second Unit
The 3803 has great features,looks, and most important sound.Very nice for music or HT and will be best you can get at under 1k,imho.It has lots of 5803 tech inside and offers many options on configuration.At least worth an audition at reputable dealer if possible .P.S.Thank You!

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
James,

First off, thanks for helping to protect our homeland and for everything you do as part of the military of this great nation.

OK, now down to business. When you start looking at that 800-1000 range of receivers, you would be hard pressed to find a bad one (especially out of your list). All of these receivers are very well regarded, and should be able to handle just about everything you need it to do. As for sound, sure, there are some nuances between them, but they will all deliver the goods for both HT and audio. Also, keep in mind things like inputs/outputs, remotes, second zone capabilities, etc. Maybe try putting together a list of all the features that matter the most to you and ranking them that way. Next to sound, this should be one of your most important decision criteria. Go to the dealers and look them all over in person, so you can get an actual feel for them, and just not look at pics on the net.

The problems that you mentioned have all been well know on these forums, and I'm sure have influenced many of us one way or another. I heard the same thing about the Marantz, and I stayed away from it. Couple of things here, listen to them at the dealers and look for the associated problem, ask a lot of questions about these problems and returns/warranty, and maybe even call the manufacturer's customer service desk.

One last thing, have you looked at the Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX? It is usually mentioned in the same breath as the others you listed. Best of luck.

Dodie

Agent
I have an HK 525 driving my B&W speakers and to me it is a lot better than my previous Denon receiver. I really noticed the big difference when it comes to power. Both my previous Denon and HK 525 I have now are suppose to be 70wpc but my B&W sounded better with my HK 525. It might be that HK matches B&W since HK is known to be a "brighter" sounding receiver while B&W speakers are "laid back"(is this the right description)type of speakers. Featurewise I think HK525 have everything.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Keesler huh? I was there for 2 weeks one year for training in the middle of July. Sheesh!...I almost died! I'd get something that runs very cool if I were you :D
BTW, If it were me I'd take the Onkyo over the H/K just cause I've compared them and that's what I did, it's a little easier on the ears IMO but I guess it depends on the speakers. Can't comment on the others as I haven't auditioned them but I have heard good things about the Denon. I'm sure there are Circuit City's down there which would allow you to audition the HK and Onkyo at least. Or wait until you get an overseas assignment and get something really nice! I wish I'd have known what I do now when I was over there! I definitely would have chosen differently.

JasonIs

Agent
I have the AS-F2 speakers and I intially bought the Yamaha 5590 receiver. The sound was very bright and in your face, kind of annoying especially at loud levels. I was unsure if it was the speakers or the receiver so I bought a Harman Kardon avr525 from circuit city, and now I know it was definately the receiver. The sound is great now, not bright at all. I dont know about the other receivers mentioned but i know the H/K is better than a yamaha. Now i have to take back the H/K since it cost $1000 at circuit city and buy it from onecall, because its only $700 there. Also I purchased the Klipsch ksw 10 and it doesnt do the job, so i have a SVS PB2+ on the way :D you might want to check them out too. Hey do you have any thoughts on the athena matching speakers, the as-c1, as-b2, im thinking of getting those.

Kevin Sk

Grip
James, I own a Denon avr-3803, and I would highly reccomend it to you. Its quality is excellent from the sound right down to the fit and finish. It converts non component video inputs to component which will be a benefit if you plan on hooking something up via s-video or composite video. This receiver is also 7.1 dts-es capable, which is how I run it in my house. I have several movies in dts-es and the sound is awesome. It also does dolby digital EX. Also, it has 7 channel stereo which is great for stereo sources like tv or radio. Sporting events sound good that way. Its also a VERY heavy receiver. I have had nothing but good with this receiver, and believe this is the best at its price.

kevitra

Second Unit
I compared the 3803, 45TX and NAD T672 and kept the NAD, primarily for it's 2 channel sound. The T752 is the same unit with a little less power, and in your price range. Yawa is an authorized online dealer.
http://www.yawaonline.com/nadt7sursoun.html

If you do decide to go that route, email them for a price quote. They will drop their price by at least $100.

Good luck on your search.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Then I was almost sold on the Onkyo until I heard that the sound quality was not as good as the HK or Marantz.
Would you take my word for it if I told you that my Rotel sounded better than any of these receivers?

Seriously, my point is that you should let your ears decide. If you're interested in the Onkyo, is there any way you can set up a comparison between it and at least one of the others? There must be something that led you to the SR800 in the first place; why not give it more of a chance? As was already said in this thread, in this price range the differences in performance are not huge, it's really an issue of features.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'd go with the NAD but I will warn you its not a frills receiver. Don't expect 8,000 dsp modes. It's straight forward.

If NAD doesn't float your boat, then Denon would be my 2nd choice or Rotel if you can swing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks