What's new

Please help me make up my mind about HTPC :@ (1 Viewer)

Mikey_G

Auditioning
Well I am going to build a HTPC for my PJ InFocus LP330. I have been using the S-Video input and at first it was breath taking. Then it wore off and now must look better. You know what I mean. Well a local computer outfit is selling a barebones system with an AMD XP 1800 and motherboard for a great deal and I am going to get it. It is a great deal at only $190 with 266 FSB, 32 MB on board Video, Sound, ATX Case, 300W Power supply, and 10/100 on board. Everything a normal person would want is on the board. But this is not a normal computer to be built. The bad part is the motherboard only has 2 PCI slots, and an AGP. Also it has 2 drive bays. Well any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I will be using this for MP3's hooked up to my reciever and to watch movies, with some light video editing with firewire on my DV cam. I will have it hooked up to the PJ and an LCD screen most likely, using the PJ for movies only. I was thinking of getting a Big, 60 or 80G, hardrive, running 512 or more PC133 SDRAM, 1 DVDRom Drive, and 1 CDRW Drive, ATI 8500DV All In Wonder to handle the Video with the firewaire already built in and get a Santa Cruz Sound Card with Optical Output. OR run the optical out from the 8500DV, but I havent heard any reports on the sound from that card using it that way. Also getting a Media Card Reader hooked up through USB. I will be running Windows XP. This leaves me with one or 2 more slots. I already got the TV card part handled throught the 8500DV. I dont care about HDTV. The only TV I watch is the news and thats rarely. Is there any other cards I should use to get the best picture out of my DLP PJ when watching a movie. I am sure anything will look better than using just S-Vdeo from a DVD Player. Again thanks for any help and reading this LONG post.

Mikey_G

Auditioning
Also what software should I look at getting. I have been using PowerDVD 4.0 XP on my computer at home hooked up to the monitor and it worked out well. Thanks

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
The 8500 card is a good choice. The 9000 card will give you slightly better colors if you have a projector like the JVC G150CL, since both the JVC and the 9000 have 10 bit color processing, but with the LP330, it shouldn't really matter.

Try a Seagate Barracuda ATA IV (or V when it comes out in a month or two) hard drive. They're fast and very very quiet. Make sure you get quiet cooling for your cpu. That means a very large heatsink, and a large, slow moving fan. The Santa Cruz card is reasonably good, but not nearly as good as something like the m-audio 2496 cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks