Please help me I'm clueless

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Bromstein, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Kevin Bromstein

Kevin Bromstein Auditioning

Hello all...great board you've got here. I'm looking to get a home theatre system, and I already have the TV and DVD player, so I'm looking for a receiver/surround speakers for my room. Its about 12 feet by 10 feet, so really small, and i'm basically dirt poor. I could probably spend around 500 or so total in US dollars (i'm from toronto). Any suggestions? I need all the help I can get. If you need more info feel free to ask and I'll respond with answers. Thanks in advance.

2. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

With your particular budget, I would consider a place like www.ubid.com or perhaps used. There are some really great deals on slightly used equipment.

3. Kevin Bromstein

Unfortunately I can't purchase from UBid as they do not ship to Canada.

4. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

Considering your budget and your room size, you would be more likely to get a good sounding system if you went for a two channel setup.

-Mike...

5. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Welcome to the board Kevin [​IMG]
    Based on your budget I believe a good home theater in a box would fit you fine. Simply because you get everything that you need at a price that fits your budget.
    The Kenwood HTB-504 or the newer 505 seems to a popular choice on this board. Sony also makes some HTB's as well. Do a a seach for HTB's and I'm sure you'll get plenty to read about.
    Good luck with your searching [​IMG]

6. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Kevin,

Try looking into a Denon AVR-1803, msrp $499...which means you could get this for less with some careful haggling! If you can muster a bit more cash, a Denon AVR-2802 runs msrp $699 and has a little more power and 5.1 inputs for DVD-a or SACD if you were interested in those high resoulution audio formats.

Theres also some nice Onkyo models out there. The TXSR500 retails at 320 and the TXSR600 is MSRP 499.

So there are some inexpensive high quality feature laden recievers out there that will serve you well.

Good luck!! And have fun shopping.

Eric.

7. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Eric,

Kevin was looking to spend $500 for a receiver and speakers.

8. Kevin Bromstein

I've been looking at a Yamaha htr-5540 (which i think is the same as the rx-v430, anyone know for sure?). It doesn't have s-video...should i be concerned? For speakers I've heard good things about the JBL SCS135's. I could probably get both for about 500...what do you guys think? Could I do better? What would be better products?

9. Ted_Polzin

Ted_Polzin Stunt Coordinator

Look on EBay for systems like Harman Kardon 110, 120 210 220. They should be under 250 if you watch.
    For speakers Fluance is a decent brand name and they live just down the road from you. www.fluance.com for the factory site. look on EBay for onebigbuy he usually sells for a little less and the shipping will be much lower. In your price range you should be able to afford the HT-ATB or SX-HTB or pick and match. I bought the SX-HTB and they sound pretty good. I'm happy with them.
    Total should be under $500 with shipping.
    Ted

10. Kevin Bromstein

One more quick (and probably stupid) question. does a 5-channel receiver (like the 5540) not support a sub? To me, 5 channel would be centre, left/right main and left/right surround...so do i need a 6 channel for true 5.1 speakers?

11. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

no a 5 channel receiver will have a sub output. That just means that there are 5 amps in the receiver one for each channel. With subs the amp is normally in the incasing as the sub speaker itself, so there is no amp inside the receiver for the sub because it already has one.

Daniel Smith

12. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Ooops...LOL :b I just re-read the post.

Kevin any way you can swing a bit more for speakers and a receiver? If not, you might want to definitely consider a HT in a BOX...

JBL makes a decent speaker...nothing wrong there, you could also look into a Klipsch ProMedia system...I think they run under 500. Finally, try looking into Paradigm micro systems, as they have some good quality inexpensive set ups.

13. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

A fluance HT 5-speaker set for $250 and a Denon 1602 for about another $250 should make you very very happy. Or you might be able to find a used 1802 for about the same price on audiogon. That way down the road you can add separate amplification (for about $400, used) for the front(3) soundstage for even more spectacular results.

14. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Kevin,

Do you need to buy the entire system all at one time? If not, then I would suggest spending the USD$500 ona decent receiver and two main speakers. Those are the most important parts of any HT system. You can add other components later on when you can afford it.

I too would recommend the used market. I'm sure in Toronto you can find a lot of great deals if you look for it. You can even find used components right here on the HTF.

Good luck.

- Mike

15. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Kevin,
    Try checking the packages that sell with everything, Kenwood, Pioneer, and Sony makes good packages.
    The room is small, so you wont need a very big speakers to fill your room.
    So my suggestion is look at those companies and get a Home theater in a box, and see how you like it. This is a hobby that you can make it as expensive as you want. So if you still think you need more, the you can upgrade.
    Check this links
    Pioneer 220
    Kenwood 405
    Pioneer 510DV (with DVD)
    Sony 1700 (with DVD)
    Pioneer 620DV (with DVD)
    Kenwood 505
    Sony 1300
    Hope this helps,
    Pablo Abularach

16. Kevin Bromstein

Thanks to everyone who has replied, and keep those ideas coming.

17. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Kevin,

Assuming it's safe to say that you can spend about $800CDN, as far as speakers go, I advise you to call George at Replay Electronics on The Queensway (at Islington, 416 251 9096). He carries the well-regarded line of Axiom speakers, and often has B-stock (slight physical imperfections) available for less than first-quality products (full manufacturer's warranty applies to B-stock). Regarding receivers, you may or may not find what you need at Replay, but bear in mind that your dollar will go further if you purchase the whole system under one roof. Best of luck. Cheers!

DS.

18. Kevin Bromstein

I'll definetly call them...any Toronto (or Kingston) inside info is absolute Gold...but i'll take any opinion i can get.

19. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Kevin,

Just to be clear: do you need a 5.1-capable receiver, and six speakers (5+sub)? If so, I think that you're going to have a tough time assembling this on your budget. Depending on how things go at Replay, and elsewhere in Toronto, your best bet may a HTIB set-up. As mentioned above, the Kenwoods have a good rep. Cheers!

DS.

20. Josh P

Josh P Agent

Kevin, for the Q about the reciever needing s-video inputs/switching it isn't always necessary. It depends on if you can hook everything up to the telly so it depends on how many sources (which are svideo) you have. Some find you may generally get better pictures hooking up direct to the telly as there are less objects in the signal path.

Josh