What's new

Please help me get the most out of my TV and new HD TiVo! (1 Viewer)

Pete Walker

Agent
Well, the title says it all, really. My wife and I *just* got our HD TiVo today (early xmas gift to each other), and I'd really like to make sure all the settings on my TV and TiVo are set so I get the best picture quality. I know a little about the different HD settings, but am still a bit confused. Any advice would really be appreciated.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Calibrate your TV with Avia or VE. Connect your HR10-250 to the TV via component cables (I'm assuming your '03 model TV doesn't have HDMI). Set the output of the Tivo to the resolution of your TV. I use 1080i when watching on my '02 Mitsubishi and 720P when watching on my projector.

-Robert

Pete Walker

Agent
I have the Avia (somewhere) but I shudder when I think about using it. I was very confused by it last time, and probably wouldn't us it again after that experience. Yes, my TV does have the HDMI, and I am using it currently.

So, other than Avia, I should be using 1080i on both the set, and via the TiVo setting then?

Also, I do have a contract with Sears not only for repairs, but for scheduled maintenence. I was wondering if there is anything I can trust them to do to make things look better. Thanks for responding!

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Don't intend to be rude, but I can't think of any way except to be blunt: if you won't use a calibration CD, then can't be done unless you pay a pro to come do it for you -- that will be pricey but effective. In my opinion nothing will do as much to get the most out of your gear as calibrating the TV.

Pete Walker

Agent
Ok, understood. I'll try to dig that DVD out, or just purchase it again. Is there anywhere online that gives a good walkthrough of using the Avia?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I use Video Essentials and it's quite simple. The announcer gives a brief explanation of the upcoming test pattern and what you are trying to accomplish. The next scene, the test pattern pops up and you make a change to the appropriate control. Wash, rinse, repeat for each setting.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks