Please help me finish calibrating my Samsung HL-S5687W!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Adam_R, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

I have tried using Avia and even sunk as low as the THX Optimode thing.

Here's the problems:

1. When calibrating the contrast, the disc wants you to turn it up until it blooms and then turn it down until just below where it starts to bloom. Well, it doesn't bloom. Ever. All the way to BLINDING CONTRAST of 100, and it's perfect. WTF do I do? I have it at 60 now and it looks good to my eyes.

2. Sharpness. Maybe I'm blind here, but it says to go up and down until there is equal brightness across all the black and white lines. Well, I must be blind becasue that too looks awesome all the way up and down. I left it at 35.

So if you have this set, please tell me what your settings are and how you calibrated.

My settings are as follows for DVD:

Noise Reduction: Off
    DNIe: Off
    Contrast: 60
    Brightness: 50
    Sharpness: 35
    Color: 45
    Game Mode: Off
    Color Temp: Normal

For my Xbox360:

Noise Reduction: Off
    Game Mode: On

For Cable:

Noise Reduction: On
    Game Mode: Off

2. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Certain calibration procedures are specific to CRTs. You need to set the contrast controls so that "almost white" is distinguishable from white, and "almost black" is distinguishable from black.

You don't have scanlines, so you can't use the scanline trick to set sharpness. I leave mine at zero.

The 5 minute calibration page may be helpful

3. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

Zero huh?

What set do you own?

Thanks for the info!

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

It's a Viewsonic N2751w-- a budget LCD HDTV. I've seen many sources online that recommend setting sharpness to the minimum unless the lines of the test signal are visibly soft. It's not much different than an edge enhancer.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Adam:

First, Stop. Listen through the explanations again more carefully. Repeat if necessary. The majority of the first part all pertains to CRT displays. You have a DLP display which operates very differently. You will NEVER see blooming, scanlines, geometry distortion on your display.

On a DLP to set white level, I prefer using the DVE ramps pattern. The white level pattern on Avia works fine too, though it maxes out at 235. You want to observe white and look for clipping of the white bars as you raise white level, and/or colorshifting of the color of white. That is your display's white point, and you'll want to set white just slightly below that.

For black, use dithering to set black level.

For sharpness look for ringing of the lines, and look at the frequency sweep and patches for evenness. You may end up at a zero setting.

I will past some things below as well.

quotes are my own:

6. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

thanks, i think [​IMG]