1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Please help me find this Spaghetti Western on DVD or at least identify the movie

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Johnny G, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

It's an old spaghetti western where a guy wearing mocassins with a hidden pocket inside one of them flicks out a metal ball and swings his leg making it fly through the air & hit another cowboy and knocks him out.

I'm afraid that's all I can remember about it.

2. Matthew Kiernan

Matthew Kiernan Stunt Coordinator

Is it Tomas Milan in THE BIG GUNDOWN or its sequel, RUN MAN RUN? I've only seen the latter, but Milan does hide knives on him in all types of places.

3. Lannie Lorence

Lannie Lorence Stunt Coordinator

It might be Adios, Sabata. Shown on Turner Classic Movies a few months ago as part of their spaghetti western festival. My memory has blurred many of the movies together, but if I remember right, it also had circus-type stunts strangely thrown in.

4. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    Lannie is right on the money; ADIOS SABATA (1970), starring Yul Brynner, is the movie you seek, Johnny. The movie was originally called INDIO BLACK in parts of Europe, but when it was dubbed into English for North American distribution, it became an ersatz sequel to SABATA (1969), starring Lee Van Cleef in the title role. Brynner's gunslinging character is "Sabata" in name only, although the film was made by the same guy who directed SABATA and its true sequel (with Van Cleef), RETURN OF SABATA (1971). ADIOS SABATA also shares some of the same supporting cast members, playing different roles. All 3 Sabata flicks were shot in anamorphic 2.35:1 ratio Techniscope, by the way, so letterboxing is imperative.
    As far as DVD availability of ADIOS SABATA/INDIO BLACK, I believe it and the two true SABATA films were recently released in a hideously expensive and hard-to-get DVD box set in Japan, part of a series of spaghetti western sets. I'm not sure if any of these have been released on DVD in Europe. As for a legit release on Region 1 DVD, the North American rights currently belong to MGM. I wish they'd add some of their spaghetti western titles to either their "Midnite Movies" or "Western Classics" DVD lines; that way, we'd have nice, inexpensive widescreen releases of:
    SABATA
    RETURN OF SABATA
    ADIOS SABATA
    DEATH RIDES A HORSE
    THE MERCENARY
    THE HILLS RAN RED
    THE FIVE MAN ARMY
    NAVAJO JOE
    -among others...