Please help me find the BEST A/V Reciever for under $600

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matty B, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

Im looking for 5.1, DTS, and DPL II. I listen to Jazz and Techno and Blues, and will be using this for Video Games and Home Theater as well. I have a set of B&W 602 for my fronts, and Phase Tech 325s for my rear speakers. I plan on adding a HSU Research Sub or perhaps an SVS 25-31 depending on what the guys at SVS say when I call them. I will also be adding a B&W Center Channel in time (On a MAJOR budget here). SO just to give you an indication of where this is heading, I'd like something that is MUSICAL and CLEAN most of all, and preferably powerful. It HAS to be under $600. Im looking at the Denon AVR 1802 and the Denon AVR 2802. Is there anything else comparable out there? I know Denon is Japanese, but I would prefer NOT to buy a Japanese product, but other than the Outlaw 1050 which does NOT have DPL II, what else is out there for this price range?? Please help as I am looking to buy this NEXT week.

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

"All the best stuff's made in Japan." - Michael J. Fox, Back to the Future, Part III
    Actually that is true to a point. The only American one that comes close to the quality of the Japan receivers would, IMO, be the Outlaw. However, you want something that has DPL II.
    Something from Kenwood may work for you but they do not have the best build or power in the world. The Denon AVR-1802, Onkyo TX-DS595, and Yamaha RX-V620 would be your best bets. For American, you may have to go with the Outlaw.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Welcome!
    You will want to check out the Marantz SR5200 or SR6200. I listen to a lot of Techno and Drum & Bass, Chill-Out/Trance, as well as Jazz, Alternative Rock and some Classical.
    Marantz is an excellent choice for music, and does a good job for HT. The new line ("X"200) all have DPL II. The 6200 and 7200 have DTS 6.1 matrix with a powered 6th channel. I listened to the Denons also, but went with an SR6200 because I preferred the "voice" they impart to the music. Not sure if it is what they add or what they DO NOT add to the sound, but I like it.
    The Denon (3802) was better at HT than -200 Marantz line. The upper realm of Marantz, such as the SR-19EX, SR-18EX and SR-14EX, are another story...
    Marantz is designed in Japan, AFAIK.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on August 31, 2001 at 02:37 PM]

4. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    If you call the Tweeters store in Houston this weekend they have 2 Denon 4800's for $648.They also have the 3801 and 02 in the $350-$400 area. They had 2 full pages of inventory in the Friday paper with some great buys on speakers,recievers,amps, RPTV's , everything. Good Luck!
    ------------------

5. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

How about Onkyo 595?
    ------------------
    What are we going to do tonight Bain?
    The same thing we do every night Pinky, try to take over the world!
    Pinky and the Brain

6. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

I love my Harman Kardon AVR 110 . It was only $400 (actually I got $50 off when i bought my speakers too- I bought the Harman HTIB speakers)
    It's a great little reciever- DTS/DD decoding, s-switching, and a whole lot of digital audio in (3 toslink, 2 or 3 coax). And the styling is nice.
    The speakers, while not Paradigm/SVS quality, have really performed well in my 3rd floor apartment.

7. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

Does the HK have DPL2? I know that HK is owned by JVC which is like Japanese Video Corporation or something. I wouldn't THINK of buying an American Television, but when it comes to Solid State electronics, I just feel that Americans do a better job (See McIntosh [I dont think Tube Amps count as Solid State though]).

Anyway that response wasnt as rousing as I had hoped [​IMG] Is there a place online that sells Marantz? (Who I thought was German)

8. John Morris

John Morris Guest

9. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

I would second the Marantz (based on past positive reviews only) for that price range. I'm going to home audition the SR6200 and SR7200 with my 602's and SVS 20-29PC as soon as I pay off my hockey season tickets. I'll still audition the 3802 (and would advise you to do the same) and base your decision on what sounds best to you.
    BTW, you can get Marantz at www.sounddistributors.com. The best prices so far on the Marantz line along with price matching. I believe the current pricing is 549 for the 6200 and 629 for the 7200. Also try Yahoo shopping. That came up with a few more merchants around the $550/$650 pricing respectively.