What's new

Please help me find my brother a nice 40-50 inch HDTV. Need help! (1 Viewer)

chewy

Auditioning
Real Name
joe
Hi everybody. New user here so I hope you guys can help me out. My brother is looking for an HDTV between 40-50 inches. He doesn't really know what to look for so I'm doing the research for him. I'm trying to get him the best possible set for his money.

He's looking to spend around $2200-2300. I want to make sure I get him a set with the latest tech., like HDMI and 1080p, this way he won't have to upgrade for a while. His viewing distance will be about 11 feet, so I'm not sure if he should get a 50 inch. Also, he won't be using it for videogames in case that's a factor. I don't know much about Tv's, but I hear DLP's are very nice. I myself have an LCD. I was particulary looking at the Samsung HDTV (HL-S5087W). However, he prefers to buy a Sony since he'll save a few hundred bucks by using his Sony credit card.

Anyway, I hope you guys can refer me to a few different sets and what you think is the best and why.
Much appreciation, Joe.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
The Sony 50 inch SXRD is going for around $2,300. He should consider that one. 11 feet viewing distance should be fine for a 50" display.

chewy

Auditioning
Real Name
joe
reviews seem pretty positive. does anyone own this set or have 1st hand reviews? any info about this set, pros, cons, etc...would be appreciated.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have actually ordered the 55" version of the SXRD and should be delivered early next week. I will be glad to give you my first impressions.

Robert Marc

Stunt Coordinator
It's great! I have had it for about a month. No complaints here. It came down to the jvc dila and the sony sxrd for me. Either way, your brother won't be dissappointed. If he goes with rear projection, definately go with a lcos set. Both mentioned are lcos. Heres a couple of forums on the sxrd from over at avs: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...a2000+settings
and http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=702606
Mine is an August build and doesn't have this green blob thing that some talk about.
Beautiful picture, better with sd than a regular dlp. Very intuitive menu and remote. Remote is not back lit nor does it glow. Can't really comment on the speakers as mine is used as a monitor only. No cable card, but not an issue as I use a hd/dvr cox box. I'd like to see it have one or two more hdmi inputs as my onkyo receiver does not not do hdmi switching. I can't say enough how stunning the picture is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks