Please help me find local DAT service!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Franklin, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin Stunt Coordinator

I have two machines that are in need of being serviced. I know that there are not many people who still use dats to record and master recordings. But, out of the remaining population that still use dats, I need your help. I have a Sony DTC-A7, and DTC 87ES. Basically, the heads need to be checked because the sound that I hear when I play back tapes is like a digital shrieking noise. The other deck has a hard time running the tapes. It plays for a few minutes then it stops. This happens frequently. When I called Sony they gave me an address to send the units to, but I know that it will cost an arm and a leg for them to repair it.

As you can tell by my profile, I live in Baltimore, MD. And the closest repair shop that I have found on the web has a store in Bethesda, MD. Unfortunately, I lost all information that pertains to that store.

Truthfully, any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. I have looked for that store that I had all of the information on all day today, and was unsuccessful.

Thank you once again,

Robert Franklin

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Robert, dumb question. If you found that store on the web, can't you just find it again? In any event, though not local, Oade Bros. in Georgia is well known for repairing DAT decks. Give them a call at 1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Dumb question: have you kept the heads on these machines clean? DAT heads are notoriously fragile and succeptible to dirt.

If you need new DAT machines I've heard really good things about the professional Panasonic decks.