What's new

Please help me find LEGEND OF ZU (AKA Zu Warriors) (1 Viewer)

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Disney is FAR reaching in their powers, and have completely restricted the sales of the DVD Legend of Zu (AKA Zu Warriors). Even stores in Hong Kong are claiming to be "Out of Stock" I can NOT find this DVD ANYWHERE. Can someone PLEASE help me find this DVD? (China House)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I've retitled the thread. You stand a better chance of getting help by including the disc name in the thread title.

M.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, the Disney Embargo is far-reaching. No domestic retailers will carry them
Why not try http://www.dddhouse.com. They're out of stock on it right now, but you could get that and Shaolin Soccer, butchered at a theater near you this Friday!
Your best bet is to try Ebay

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Jeff-

I have read that SHAOLIN SOCCER has now been postponed until the first quarter of 2003.

777-film now lists this as being released 2/3/2003.

I wonder what happened in the past month that made them decide this?

Larry -

Even though dddhouse is out of stock, they will be very helpful if you e-mail them and ask if they will get it back in.

Matt

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Guys, Out of Stock means "Disney told them sell any more films and our legal counsel will be calling you" I find it hard to believe that EVERY single retailer goes out of stock simultaneously. I will have to try E-Bay unless one of you is my Saviors and finds a place that sells the DVD.

Im VERY VERY fearful of Ebay because HK DVDs are VERY VERY piratey and most sellers are in HK.

Thanks

LS

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
One thing that confuses me: If Disney is the only company who can release these films on DVD, WHY THE HELL DON'T THEY RELEASE THE UNCUT CHINESE-LANGUAGE PRINTS, EVEN IN HONG KONG?

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Because they want to control what Americans see. Im going to import "The Storm Riders" as well because Im sure that will be the next to get controlled. Still no luck on finding a place that sells this.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Larry -

A DTS version of Storm Riders was just released. This is carried by HKFLIX.com as well as many others.

I know Disney is strongarming e-tailers so I believe you about nobody carrying it. Few people believed me when I said Disney was pressuring overseas distributers to not let mail order and online stores carry certain DVD's. This came from Johnny from dddhouse.com directly.

There has also been a bunch of titles that were unavailable for a month or so for other reasons but ZU isn't one of them.

I just checked HIVIZONE.com and they list LEGEND OF ZU and they should have it in stock. You may want to e-mail them to double check but if I remember correctly, they will say out of stock if so. It's $12.

Matt

Peter Jue

Stunt Coordinator
I believe that The Legend of Zu DVD is on temporary moratorium. It was produced by Chinastar, which was recently sold to Mei Ah. It was mentioned at another forum that it should be back in stock everywhere (DDDHouse, DVDShelf, etc.) sometime this month. It should retain the same features (2:35 anamorphic, etc.), but it may be relabeled as a Mei Ah release. Other affected titles include Love on a Diet, La Brassiere, Wu Yen, Legend of Speed, and a few others I don't remember. You can also ask the folks at the asiandvdguide.com forum.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Guys, Out of Stock means "Disney told them sell any more films and our legal counsel will be calling you"
Tough, since Disney has no rights to the film in Hong Kong. They already threatended DDDHouse, and given that they're still listing Shaolin Soccer and other Disney Embargo titles, I'm going to say they told them to suck an egg.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Jeff-Why would they not carry Legend of Zu then?

FYI I found a place in Canada that SUPPOSEDLY has this in stock, I will let you all know if they

A)Decided to ship it

and

B)What version it is

(Hopefully 2.35 anamorphic and DTS)

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I just saw this in Chinatown less than two weeks ago. Has the mighty Disney reached out that far to pull them from small merchants such as these?

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
I got mine off Ebay (very nice disc I might add) a while ago for like $17 shipped from Hong Kong. It is 2.35:1 anamorphic and the DTS soundtrack is exceptional. Not sure if there are different versions or even bootlegs of this, but mine came in very nice X-Men style packaging. I just took a look and there are tons of them up for auction.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Larry, they're out of stock because the disc was OOP while it changed hands, per Peter's post.

If DDDHouse is carrying the other embargo titles, then they aren't paying any attention to Disney. Given that they are in Hong Kong,where Disney has no rights to the title, Disney cannot legally send them letters

Now what they CAN do is get any copies of their titles stopped at the border. I haven't heard 1 case of them doing this before you ask.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Given that they are in Hong Kong,where Disney has no rights to the title, Disney cannot legally send them letters
Actually, Disney CAN legally send them letters. They just have no legal recourse within the bounds of Hong Kong.

A lot of what lawyers do is intimidation. They send out letters threatening legal action unless you comply with their wishes. They can threaten to enforce confiscation of all of an HK company's shipments to US, for instance.

Whether they can enforce this or not is almost beside the point. It's the mind game and the threat of going up against Disney's deep pocket legal team that is the big fist. If they can't win, they can break you financially.

Remember in The Godfather when thugs warn a merchant to pay up or something might happen to his store?

It's a lot like that...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Disney is bringing pressure against the HK owners of the films not to sell to firms who export

Doesn't seem to be working very well. Worse comes to worse there will always be people on Ebay, or people that arrange shipments to sell in the US anyway

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
I still can't find a place that is carrying this DVD. You all happen to believe it's OOP and EVERY single place sold EVERY single copy?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks