What's new

Please Help Me Dont Know What To DO? (1 Viewer)

scott_tinari

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I have 3 options, Can anyone tell me what the best option is.I have the Pioneer Elite reciever already?

1. Upgrade my Pioneer Elite 35TX reciever that is capable to do 6.1 to a Yamaha RXV1200 receiever.

2 I have Take 5 speaker, I was going to upgrade my front Mains with EXL16 and my Center with the C2 speaker and keep my rear Take 5 speakers.

3. Add a external AMP, Pioneer Elite AR35 which will power my ELite 35 reciever to do a rear center channel.

Which ones do you poeple think is the most worth while for to do right now?

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
Scott, I'm still trying to understand the reason for your wanting to upgrade. If you tell us, we can better give you answers.

I said it before, I don't see what advantage you get from purchasing a new stereo in your situation. The Pioneer will do 7.1 already, and the Yammy does 6.1. Feature-wise, they're both very close to each other as well(except for DSPs, if you're into that stuff).

So basically, what are you trying to do?

Sam

scott_tinari

Stunt Coordinator
Sam, I just want to upgrade my Equiptment, I dont know if I should upgrade my Speakers, my Reciever or what. The Pioneer Doesnt do 6.1 out of the box, I need an extra amp to do 6.1 or 7.1. I just wanna upgrade thats all. Do you think the speakers I should upgrade, I just want better sound is what Iam getting at I guess. SO should I get another reciever, I like Pioneer, but someone siad get the Yammy, or is the Pionner fine, but just upgrade my speakers. Thanks

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Scott: you have a bad case of "upgrade itis". This is a serious condition that needs immediate attention.
Box up all of your equipment. Send it to the following address:
Bob McElfresh
PO Box 123
Walnut Creek, CA
In a few months, it will be returned to you and you will be amazed at how good it sounds. :)
But to get serious for a moment...
The Take 5 speaker system, while good quality, is still a budget set of speakers. Changing to a new receiver will not make much difference. Adding an external amp will not make much difference.
Changing the speakers will give you the most dramatic change for your money.
First - do you have an external sub? If not, this should be your first upgrade. A HSU VTF-2 for $500 or a SVS 20-39 for $800 will make a dramatic impact.
If you are thinking of upgrading, first consider the Energy AC300 center. This is THE MOST IMPORTANT speaker in your array. Changing this will have the next-most dramatic impact.
Next, the L/R speakers can be swapped out and the Take 5 fronts/rears can continue to help the back end.
But as long as you are looking at new speakers, try visiting a Paradigm dealer for one of their HT offerings. WARNING: I have sent people to a local store for auditions and they left with systems. After the second time, I am now afraid to visit the store myself for fear of being converted.
Hope this helps.

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
If i was in your shoes, I'd just add an amp. I'm a Pioneer man, myself, so I'd definitely stick with the 35-TX(IMO).

Sam

Vietor

Stunt Coordinator
So just to carify,
You've got money burnning a hole in your pocket and have decided that it must be spent NOW on some HT equipment?
If you can't decide what you want to upgrade then there can't be anything that your very unhappy with, otherwise you would upgrae to fix that. It seems to me that your best option would be to wait till you had the $$ for an upgrade that would make a big difference, rather then just doing a pidddly little upgrade for the pure sake of upgrading. It seems that you want to upgrade from one reciver to another that is at most slightly better. That seems like a total waste of money to me. Wait till you can aford a really nice reciver, or get a nice amp that you can use with the pre-outs, and then plan to upgrade to a better pre-amp later.
Upgrade with a goal in mind, not just for the sake of upgrading, otherwise it seems like you will end up wasting a lot of $$$. Have a goal, upgrade to reach it, make every upgrade one that is worth it.
Unless of course you just have money to burn in which case you could just send some of it my way. . . :D

scott_tinari

Stunt Coordinator
Man, you guys are rough:). I figured you guys would say that. Iam not saying my system is bad, I just wnt to get a better sound. OK, My question adding an external amp to get the extra back channel is it worth it, will I hear a dramatic improvement in sound, or just go ahead and upgrade my front speakers and my center and keep my take 5 for the surrounds. Iam not just upgrading for the hell of it, I just want better sound, I know take 5 are good speakers but I just want to get a better sound, I guess maybe I do have UPGRADITIS:) Thanks Guys

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
If you want improved sound, go for new speaks. If you want another channel, go for the external amp.

It'll sound the same with one more matrixed channel of audio in the rear, but new speakers will give you a whole new sound...

Sam

Vietor

Stunt Coordinator
Scott-

Get on a plan, ya know one of those 12 step plans to cure upgradeitis. . . err wait, thats not what I meant.

What I mena is this, Have an eventual goal for your HT system. And then make every upgrade a step along the path to getting there.

For example, my system is currently-

Onkyo TX-DS595

Paradigm Titans (x4)

Paradigm CC-170

Sony SA-WM40

I got this system knowing that each part was good enough to last me till I could afford to get what I really really want.

Someday I want some massive SVS Subwoofage (Come on luk, win me the givaway!). I want 7.1 surround, and I want high quality seperate pre/pro and amp.

Every upgrade I make will take me closer to that goal with the minmum of redundant cost.

Replace Sony With SVS is the first step. It will improve my sound and take me to where I want to go. The order of other upgrades is to far away to be called right now, but know that every upgrade will be to something that I plan to keep using for a long time after I get it. There will be no partial upgrades, ok yeah it would be really silly to run a nice preamp/processor into the 5.1 channel inputs of the 595, but it will be better then what it was before, and then when I have the $$$ to get the amp I really wnat I will have my ideal combination, not some half-assed midway compromise of it.

Thats my theory anyway, know what you really want and plan everything along the way to get you there with the minimum expenditure of extra $$$.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks