Please help me design my HT room

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron H, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Hi everyone,
    We're building a new house and I have to have my wiring decisions by Friday. I'm trying to decide on the layout of the upstairs bonus room which will house a HT.
    Here's a pic.
    http://home.tampabay.rr.com/reef/room.html
    The room is 20'x17' and has pretty high vaulted ceilings. I don't know for sure which way the 20' and which way the 17' dimensions run. If that's very important to know, I can find out tomorrow.
    I want to put a rear-projection TV on one end, with the front LCR speakers. Then, of course, I want 2 rear surrounds. And the biggie, an SVS. To help with the WAF, would the closet be on ok please for the SVS? Oh, and we have 2 normal sized couches to go up there. I guess I'm just looking for the best possible sweet-spot from the two couches, and of course, I want to be able to place the rear-surrounds so hopefully both people on the couches can hear them the best.
    Oh, and I like to mount the rear speakers on the wall. I don't really wanna have them stand mounted.
    I tried labeling the walls so it might help with your description, should you choose to offer some advice.
    Thanks in advance!!!!!
    Aaron

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I'm moving this post over to the Building A Home Theater Area in anticipation of more response to your thread.

3. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

In your diagram, which is the 20' and which is the 17' section?

You more often than not you want to place a screen on one of the short walls.

I don't think you'd like the sound of an SVS in the closet. If the closet is big enough, gut it and put a Middle Atlantic rack system (the Slim 5 series is the most economical) in there for your components with enough ventilation and run all major wiring to it.

Trust me that you'll want to run a wire conduit and pull strings to where you might wind up placing a front projector in the future(even a separate 15 gauge run for plugging in said future projector), and run speaker wire for center back surround speakers for a possible 7.1 setup. Do so now or you'll have a lot of trouble upgrading later.

Dan