Please help me decide

Matt<>M

Auditioning
OK, i am very new to this and this is the first message i have posted here, but i need help deciding on a TV. I have been researching and have narrowed my selection to 2 different TVs. The Sony 60" 60A2000 and the Samsung HL-S6187W. I keep going back and forth and can't make up my mind. I like the price of the Samsung and i have heard that the Sony is "soft" in some reviews. However, i can not find anywhere where there is a comparison between these two displays. Does anyone know if one set is sharper (without being noisy, per the DNI issue with the samsung) or if the soft image of the SOny is overblown? Also, i noticed that there have been issues with the resolution of the Sony via the VGA input for the PC, does the Samsung farte much better inthis regard? I really appreciate any insight, especially since i cannot go by the horrible dispalys in the big box stores.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The softness reported on the A-2000 Sonys was on early production models with a wrong setting in their service menus. Sony issued a service bulletin and corrected the problem on current production sets.

The Sammy's DNIE can be turned off, but they do exhibit a lot of video noise either way with anything less than perfect source material--Sonys are much more forgiving. Note also that color adjustment is not possible on any HDMI source or component video source on Samsung sets, thus they pretty much can't be user calibrated with DVE or AVIA. This last shortcoming is a deal breaker for me on the purchase of any Samsung HDTV.

BrianTwig

Second Unit
I was looking at those two televisions myself (except in 56" and 55"), along with a 3rd. The JVC HD-ILA.

After many many visits to local audio/video shops to just sit and watch my eyes were continually drawn to the JVC. Maybe becuase it was so much brighter. Who knows. But after months of back and forth, I went with the JVC. I would give it a look. You have nothing to lose by checking it out.

Matt<>M

Auditioning
Thanks everyone fro the insight. i was not aware of the shortcomings of the Samsung as far as calibration. That is a deal breaker for me as well. I guess now i need to compare the Sony to the JVC.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I just purchased the 55" Sony SXRD and am very satisfied with the picture I am getting on the high def channels. The SXRD's are similar to the JVC HD-ILA models.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beekeeper