Please help me decide which power unit to get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Morris, Mar 20, 2002.

1. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I started out looking for a simple used Parasound Scamp($100)to use to auto on my subwoofer amp and EQ. Now, after reading innumerable marketing crap about filtering, regenerating and conditioning power, I am up to a budget of no more than $700.

Here is what I NEED:

- 12v or signal sensing, sequential switching for my subwoofer amp, zone 2 amp, plus an EQ

- This must not limit current draw and support at least 15amps since my amp is a Crown K2 and draws alot of current.

Here is what I'd LIKE additionally:

- some type of power conditioning or filtering or something which may make my system sound better.

I am considering the following units:

1. Panamax Max 5500 ($570)

2. Monster HTS 5100 ($525)

3. Adcom ACE-615 ($329)

Which would you get and why... or would you recommend some other unit that meets my needs, and of course, costs less than $700?

Thanks for your help!

2. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

I am using big crown amps for bass as well, and had sort of dismissed the idea of cleaning up the power for it as:

A) It's for the sub, and so not likely to yield any real audible improvement;

B) Since these amps are designed to go on the road and get some pretty nasty power, I'm guessing they have a lot of stuff already built into the PS to clean up the power, so adding another unit is unnecessary.

If you do find something, let me know (post) what kind of effect it has.

Also, I've heard some very positive comments about BPT's stuff (Balanced Power Technology). Check out their site.

BB

3. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

John:
    I wished I still lived in Houston, so you could see and hear the difference balanced power does for a system. I purchased two modified BPT units from a HT consultant/installer in Alaska. But, I think similar results would be seen and heard from BPT units.
    Audio: Wider soundstage in front and especially rear. The details stand out. Smoother panning effects and tighter bass (big time!). The reason is a lower noise floor, allows one to hear the details that were always present. Literally, no hiss coming from my speakers...period.
    Video: Less background video noise allows for better/smoother background, which makes the foreground stand out...3D. When you combine the MSB Tech's progressive board and balanced power, DVD's are as good as the better HBO HD transfers.
    When I went to a balanced power conditioning, it was like upgrading each and every component.
    Just as a reference, I've tried panamax, monster, Richard Gray (though I still like these units for video-still use one).
    www.b-p-t.com The one area these don't cover are the delayed on and off.....but overall performance is more important than turning on you gear [​IMG] Let me know if you have any specific questions?
    take care
    Ron

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Ron: I looked at the BPT units and have some questions.

To gain any benefit from these units, don't I have to use them for all my components connected to my system?

For example, if it looks as though I should use a pair of BP-2.5 units for my pair of ATI 2505 amps(each amp runs off a dedicated 20 amp circuit); a BP-2 for my preamp processor, SACD player, DVD Player, Turntable, phono preamp, sequential amp start up unit, and ICBM; and another BP-2 for my Crown K2 amp and Symetrix EQ. Looking at the prices for two BP-2.5 units, plus two BP-2 units, is suddenly way, way, way over my $700 budget.

In order to gain a sonic benefit from balanced power noise supression, doesn't every component in the sonic chain have to be BPT'd?

5. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

I'm no expert, but that wouldn't be my understanding. When my units were built, I went with a 20 amp unit for all my amps (7 marantz mono's, carvin amp (for BK) and two svs subs. The second one is a 10 amp unit, which has all of the source components and RPTV.

I would email Chris at BPT and tell him what you are trying to accomplish. Will you eventually need two units....I'd assume the answer will be yes. But, start out on the audio side first and hear the results. You have thirty days to demo the unit. I think you'll be pleased. Then maybe 6-12 months you dip back into the piggy bank for the second unit.

From my own personal experience, neither the panamax nor monster had nearly the impact that a balanced power product has.....it's like the effect an ISF calibration has on one's TV.

Good Luck

Ron

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

What do you guys thing about the new Monster Power HTPS 7000 unit? It is also supposedly a balanced power unit with the sequential startup and other features that I wanted... and it would cost me around $1100. You can check it out here: http://www.monstercable.com/power/HTPS7000.html Looks pretty damn sexy too... [​IMG]

7. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

John:

I hate to make blanket statements around a particular brand, BUT I really don't care for monster products. I'd prefer to go to a bettercables, svsubwoofers, audionut or BPT type companies. I have found a high level of service, customized products that fit my particular needs and the best bang for the buck in performance.

When Alan of audionut sent a total of 30+ emails asking, probing and educating me on power and it's effects I knew be able to hear and see the benefit of each penny spent. I think what each of the above companies have in common is passion for sound and video.

Ron

8. JimN

JimN Stunt Coordinator

Well I agree with the pro BPT people here. Chris was very helpful in buying my first unit and really was the person who came up with the design of the custom unit I use in my den system. The other advantage of BPT over companies like monster (which I do also use BTW) is they basically give you all the info up front. When you buy one of their units you know the VA rating of the transformers they use as well as who manufactures them. This is more important for a power unit than it is for a power amp, but I really do not want to go there [​IMG]