Please help me decide on a sub to build.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jeff Braddock, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

I am trully buffaloed on what to do about a sub. At first, I had my heart set on a Shiva. Then, I found the SAE 1204 which is very similar to the Shiva, only cheaper. Then, as I was showing my wife (who is kinda against the sub building project anyway) the SAE 1204 she seen the AV12 and thought it looked like a higher quality sub. As I told her, it is better, but it is a bit more expensive (I'm on a tight budget).

So here is my dilema: Should I stick with the 1204 or spend a little more and go with the AV12. Of course for the price of the AV12 I could get a Tempest, though I am looking for a smaller box so the Tempest is probably out of the question.

Here are my wants for the sub: detailed, accurate, can play deep and do it loudly.

I had a vented box in mind, about 85 l - 95 l size. I would also like to use something like the PE 250 watt amp to be cost effective.

Thanks for all your recommendations.

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

You cant go wrong with either the Shiva or AV12 and they are both very high quality. An option is to build one of the plans from the Adire website for the Shiva and use the PE amp. They have an Adire Alignment which is 85 liters and tuned to 20 Hz.