Please Help me choose which A/V receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by mike_frontier, Dec 25, 2002.

1. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

All I need some opinions on which A/V receiver to get.
    I am thinking between 2 of these A/V receivers which are
    The YAMAHA HTR-5440
    or
    The Pioneer VSX-D711
    -----
    Right now I have hooked up to my home system is the Yamaha (was a X-mas gift and to replace my old KLH R5000) and have not yet used or played with the Pioneer VSX-D711.
    But I notice some lack on the Yamaha which has no S-videos and for some reason I think the controller and sound adjustments can get confusing. I know the Yamaha seems to pack a punch on power. It has no problem pushing any of my speakers for DD5.1. I still have yet got the DTS to work (no sound), even if the dvd movie supports it [​IMG] .
    My dvd player is a progressive scan Toshiba SD-3750.
    But I am really not here to troubleshoot. I am more here to ask you all what I should do as for which receiver to go with??. It looks the the Pioneer has more options as for S-video which IMHO is a great to have. I know my old KLH R5000 has S-video and was great to have (I miss S-video) [​IMG] , and its 100 watts x 5 .
    But if you guys have any suggestions which to get that would be great help. Oh also the Pioneer will be about $20.00 less (hey its gas money to go get it [​IMG] )
    Thanks
    Mike

2. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator

Are you sure you need S-Video switching? I have a receiver similar to that Pioneer model, but I send S-Video directly to the TV, bypassing the receiver.

On the missing DTS: Did you use the DVD player's setup menu to tell it to send DTS?

Sorry I can't compare the models you're interested in.

3. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

Greg,

Ok I got the DTS to detect. Like you said I had to go into the dvd setup menu and select it. I thought it was suppose to automatically detect it.

As for S-video.... I really think it would be nice to have due to my setup. All my componets I use like my DirectTV receiver, DVD Player, TV and VCR all supports S-video... and the Yamaha don't have S-video. Do you think I should just hook the S-video direct from the TV and DVD player only?

I looks like that is the only other way since the A/V amp do not support S-video.

Oh thats cool since you can't compare these 2 recivers. I am sure others on here can help me get right receiver out of these 2.

Thanks ,
    Mike

4. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

what speakers are you going to use?...the yamaha receivers tend to be "brighter" with certain speakers....

russ

5. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator