What's new

Please Help me choose which A/V receiver? (1 Viewer)

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
All I need some opinions on which A/V receiver to get.
I am thinking between 2 of these A/V receivers which are
The YAMAHA HTR-5440
or
The Pioneer VSX-D711
-----
Right now I have hooked up to my home system is the Yamaha (was a X-mas gift and to replace my old KLH R5000) and have not yet used or played with the Pioneer VSX-D711.
But I notice some lack on the Yamaha which has no S-videos and for some reason I think the controller and sound adjustments can get confusing. I know the Yamaha seems to pack a punch on power. It has no problem pushing any of my speakers for DD5.1. I still have yet got the DTS to work (no sound), even if the dvd movie supports it :frowning: .
My dvd player is a progressive scan Toshiba SD-3750.
But I am really not here to troubleshoot. I am more here to ask you all what I should do as for which receiver to go with??. It looks the the Pioneer has more options as for S-video which IMHO is a great to have. I know my old KLH R5000 has S-video and was great to have (I miss S-video) :D , and its 100 watts x 5 .
But if you guys have any suggestions which to get that would be great help. Oh also the Pioneer will be about $20.00 less (hey its gas money to go get it :P )
Thanks
Mike

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
Are you sure you need S-Video switching? I have a receiver similar to that Pioneer model, but I send S-Video directly to the TV, bypassing the receiver.

On the missing DTS: Did you use the DVD player's setup menu to tell it to send DTS?

Sorry I can't compare the models you're interested in.

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Greg,

Ok I got the DTS to detect. Like you said I had to go into the dvd setup menu and select it. I thought it was suppose to automatically detect it.

As for S-video.... I really think it would be nice to have due to my setup. All my componets I use like my DirectTV receiver, DVD Player, TV and VCR all supports S-video... and the Yamaha don't have S-video. Do you think I should just hook the S-video direct from the TV and DVD player only?

I looks like that is the only other way since the A/V amp do not support S-video.

Oh thats cool since you can't compare these 2 recivers. I am sure others on here can help me get right receiver out of these 2.

Thanks ,
Mike

RussKon

Stunt Coordinator
what speakers are you going to use?...the yamaha receivers tend to be "brighter" with certain speakers....

russ

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
Do you think I should just hook the S-video direct from the TV and DVD player only?
Mike,

No, I don't think that. It happens that I have only one S-Video source (my cable box) and one S-Video input (one input mode on my TV), so I don't need S-Video switching. Since you have several S-Video sources, evidently you do.

If your TV and DVD player have component inputs and outputs, you might think of using those to connect them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks