Please help me choose my HT speakers. Thanks

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by gocel, Oct 16, 2003.

1. gocel

gocel Auditioning

Hello I am building a HT system from scratch. I bought already a HK AVR525 receiver also my main DVD palyer is a Sony DVP-CX985V 400 Disc Progressive DVD/SACD. I am going to order a SVS PB1-ISD Subwoofer with 320 watt built-in amp. Now it comes the part of choosing the speakers fronts center and sorrounds. The room where this whole setup will go is about 12'x 20'not a very big room. I do not want to spend more than $2000.00 for the the whole set of speakers. I will be very greatfull for any opinions on this matter. keep in mind that this is going to be a 7.1 setup. Thanks for any suggestions.

CG

2. Dan Mastro

Dan Mastro Agent

you need to go out and listen at hifi shops. take notes of likes and dislikes; soft warm sound or detailed exact sound. i prefer the detailed crisp sounds, likes are subjective. how much $$ to spend etc.
    dan

3. Debbie_L

Debbie_L Stunt Coordinator

Hi gocel,

With $2K to spend you've got a lot of options: Paradigm, PSB, Polk Audio, RBH, Energy, Athena, etc. Take Dan's advice and go out and have fun shopping your local stores.

If I had your budget and wanted to buy from an internet company, I'd go with Ascend Acoustics. Also check out www.audioshop.on.ca for the Dahlquist line -- great speakers for the money and Marc at Audio Shop is a great guy to deal with. I don't think Dahlquist has any dealers in the US as yet, but I could be wrong.

Good luck and have fun!

Debbie

4. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

5. Mario_Y

Mario_Y Stunt Coordinator

I'm kinda looking for a set of satellite speakers, but under $300. My friend suggested Energy...any others?

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

If you are only interested in one pair, the ELT satellites cost $250/pair. I would also suggest the Ascend 170s, but I think that they are just a bit over your budget.

If you are really thinking about a whole 5.1 system, I would recommend checking out the Acoustic Research HC6, which can be found for maybe a little over $300.

7. Mario_Y

Mario_Y Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the idea; I am looking for a whole set. I can't seem to find the Acoustic Reseach one's though. Are they satellite?

8. Lew Crippen

9. george king

george king Supporting Actor

10. Lew Crippen

11. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

12. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Try this site, some really great deals on some good speakers

Audio Advisor I got my Platinum Audio speakers from there, great service and for a limited time free shipping.

13. gocel

gocel Auditioning

Thank you all for your fine suggestions. I will be very busy myself trying to audition some of the brand names you suggested and I am going to order the Ascend Acoustics. They come with a 30 day trial period I beleive. Thanks