Please help me choose. Kenwood 6060, Yamaha 5560, and Pioneer 811S

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Himanshu_S, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Himanshu_S

Himanshu_S Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I bought the kenwood receiver at BBY when they were giving out the KLH HTA-4906 speaker system with it. I know the speakers are crappy but hear me out. I listened to yamaha 5560 w/ JBL SCS150SI speaker system and when I turned the volume to really loud, the sound started to distort.

does that mean the reciever can't put out enough power with all channels running? or it's putting out more than the speakers could handle or was the speakers at fault?

SCS150SI Speakers are rated to handle 100w and sub 150w.
    Now the question is how come my KLH speakers don't distort at ALL with volume at max on my reciever(kenwood). Volume isn't that loud even at but still they don't distort.

is kenwood underpowered?? or my KLH speakers are better than JBL? that would totally suck.

Also, another thing is that some person posted that pioneer 811S puts out 70+w with all channels running. Would you guys recommend pioneer, kenwood, or yammy??

I don't care about price of these reciever since the price range is about the same w/ my discount at Best Buy. granted yammy is most expensive then comes kenwood and pioneer being the cheapest but in the end i want something i'm really satisfied with.

Also, would it be better to sell the KLH on ebay and use the money to buy the SCS150SI package. that would mean i can't return the kenwood anymore.

those are my questions and I hope u can help me decide. Sorry for long post. Thanx in advance.

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

himanshu,

you didn't say what your needs are - is this for home theater use only, will it also be for 2 channel/stereo music listening, etc.

The first thing I'd say is that unless you're going to be listening normally at ear splitting levels, I would not base your decision solely on distortion you heard at a Best Buy demo setup. If you're thinking of getting better speakers, then I'd recommend going out and getting some. Hook 'em up to your Kenwood and if you like what you hear stick with Kenwood and sell the KLH speakers. Also, you could pick up the Pioneer or the Yamaha and demo those in your home with the new speakers. If you like one of those better, then you can return the Kenwood with the KLH speakers. I have no experience at all with the Kenwood but I suspect the Pioneer or Yamaha would be fine for you. I own the Pioneer 811S and it performs quite nicely for movies and adequately for music listening. Others here who own/have used it also seem to like it. I suspect you'll also find people who are happy with the Yamaha or the Kenwood model as well.

good luck,

--tom

3. Himanshu_S

Thanx for the response. I want to use this for both music and movies. 70/30 movie/music ratio. Anyone else can PLEASE answer my questions???
    thanx

4. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

The Yamaha 5560 is rated 27w with all channels running and the 811s is rated over 70w with all channels running.
    The Onyko 600 is rated at 34w with 5 channels running.

The test were made and paid for by me at a NJ lab.

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I briefly owned the Yamaha HTR-5560 - and by brief I mean a few weeks. I felt that it couldn't keep up with my Denon AVR-1802 receiver, so I put the Denon back into action. My intent was to move my Denon up to my bedroom and keep the Yammy in the family room for movies. For myself, I just wasn't happy with the Yammy - I didn't like the sound with my setup, but I was most happy with the Denon.

The Kenwood doesn't appear half bad. I guess until the tests start appearing, we won't know the actual power that it puts out. Either stay with the Kenwood, or go with the Pioneer. I'd look at replacing the KLH speakers, though. "Free" means that BB probably paid $20 for all 3 speakers and they were marked up to $99. Similar deals are in effect at Circuit City with the Jensen speakers.

6. Himanshu_S

Hi,
    Thanks for the responses. As of now, I have two choices Kenwood or Pioneer.
    Norman: Which one would you get? Price and features are not issue b/c they are almost the same. Do u think kenwood is stating their power ratings correctly?

This is from kenwood's website.

POWER RATINGS
    - Stereo Power: 100 Watts per Channel (Left/Right, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.09% THD, 8 ohms)
    - Surround Power (Center): 100 Watts (20Hz - 20kHz, 0.09% THD, 8 ohms)
    - Surround Power (Left/Right): 100 Watts + 100 Watts (20Hz - 20kHz, 0.09% THD, 8 ohms)
    - Surround Power (LSurround/RSurround): 100 Watts + 100 Watts (20Hz - 20kHz, 0.7% THD, 8 ohms)
    - Surround Power (Selectable--Subwoofer/Surround Back): 100 Watts (20Hz - 20kHz, 0.09% THD, 8 ohms)

I don't exactly know how to read these ratings so can anyone tell me how to interpret this.
    I wish the manufactures would stop playing this rating games with consumers. it's driving me crazy.

Wayne: thanx for the info on yamaha. that took care of one choice.

7. David Ison

David Ison Stunt Coordinator

if it doesn't state "all channels driven" it was probably with only one channel driven, (signal applied only to one channel), manufacturers are not required to state out put with all channels driven, only 2 channels, so most don't.

8. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

I know nothing about the Kenwood, so I cannot comment.
    Check out this months Sound & Vision on the review of the Panasonic SA-HE100.

9. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

check out the yamaha htr-5490

also....i thought us best buy employees weren't entitled to free speakers and deals like that?

10. Himanshu_S

Jason: that reciever is too expensive for me. If that wasn't the case, I wouldn't have had this problem [​IMG]
    Also, about the speakers......YMV.
    If anyone has tried both kenwood and pioneer, PLEASE advise me.