What's new

Please Help Me Choose Between These Two DVD Players: JVC XV-N50BK or Toshiba SD-3900 (1 Viewer)

JohnSterling

Stunt Coordinator
If you look down a day or two or three, I've got a thread reviewing both those players and the one I chose for my system: JVC.

CurtisC

Second Unit
Good luck if you buy a jvc,never had 1 that didn't break down in less than a year.

JohnSterling

Stunt Coordinator
This will be my third JVC (out of 9 total DVD players in 3 1/2 years). The first I purchased 3 years ago, then gave to a friend. He's still using it. The second I purchased about 2 years ago and is still currently in use in the bedroom with no issues.

Kage

Stunt Coordinator
Today, I got the XV-N50BK, and I do not like it for the following reasons:
1) The tray light can not be turned off, but it could be dimmed, it distracts me a lot
2) Picture quality is decent, but to my liking.
3) It causes jittery movement in some scenes in some movies.

Tommorrow, I'm going to return it and look for another dvd player later in the week.

JoeRiley

Stunt Coordinator
Just got the N50BK too, and have the sme problem as Kage. I'll probably return it this afternoon, after the Pats game.

JohnSterling

Stunt Coordinator
#1: Yeah...I don't understand why JVC didn't put include an option to turn off the blue glow on the disk tray. That was dumb. I'm lucky, I guess...I like the glow myself. I can sure see how it would bug some folks, though.

#2: You running PS or interlaced? I absolutely agree with the picture quality comment if you're running interlaced. However, the PS quality on my set is just stunning. Just as good at the 3900. Maybe better.

#3: Again...just curious...is the jitteryness under PS or interlaced? The PS output of the JVC was the most stable of the 4 players I recently compared. Just rock solid.

Anyway...it would be interesting to hear what you end up deciding upon...and how you're running it.

Cheers.

Kage

Stunt Coordinator
John, the jittering movement also happens to me in PS mode.

I just ordered the Denon DVD-1600 from Cruthfield.com

JohnSterling

Stunt Coordinator
Wow...that's interesting.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to be some kind of JVC sales-dude....it's just the the PS output on that unit has been amazing to me. The wife and I watched Gladiator and Monsters Inc tonight and the picture was borderline 3D...with no jittering or flashing...or anything yucky. The most 'film-like' I've seen...period...including a variety of demo-days at the local high-figh shop with equipment that's an order of magnitude more expensive than the little JVC. Anyway...good luck with whatever you get. Cheers. Fill us in on how the Denon does. A local hi-fi shop had the Denon 900 for sale for $100. (Demo unit). Don't know anything about that particular player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks