What's new

Please help me choose a wireless router/print server... (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Same workgroup.

I can now see both PC's on the laptop but I doubleclick on the "server" PC from the laptop and it says not accessable, network path not found.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I think it was my firewall. I was running zone alarm on my desktop PC and I turned it off, and connected to the desktop with my laptop by enetering the user name and password. It didn't allow me to see the printer by "adding printer". Only connecting to it directly by going through "computers near me" and right clicking the shared printer and clicking "connect".

Now how can I enable the firewall and let this be passed through? I have to allow access through zone alarm but I don't know how.

EDIT:
Check that... I restarted the laptop to make sure it was working properly and sure enough, it's not working. It only works if I sign in as a user to my main desktop through my laptop in "my network places/computers near me".

Tried reinstalling the printer and drivers and updating to the latest driver from epson. I'm totally lost now.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Shouldn't be that tough Jeff. You've right-clicked on your printer, and selected the "SHARE" option, right?

Also, make sure "file & print sharing" is active on your desktop.

If you've done that, you should be able to see the printer via your laptop, assuming your network settings are all okay (and they should be if your computers can "see" each other...)

I haven't seen you say if you can access any files on your desktop via the laptop...can you?

(Killing ZoneAlarm sounds like a good idea, as you are now behind the router...at least disable it until you get things working. LinkSys routers should have a ZoneAlarm option as well...)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Good stuff! Glad you are up and running Jeff! So are you enjoying wireless? :D

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
It's great but I wish I had better range. I picked up an external antenna to try to extend the range but I found out my specific routers antenna can't be removed. I think I may have to return it and get the original WRK54G.

Thanks!

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
It's great but I wish I had better range. I picked up an external antenna to try to extend the range but I found out my specific routers antenna can't be removed. I think I may have to return it and get the original WRK54G.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks