Please help me choose a home thearer in a box set! Thanks

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by gocel, Sep 18, 2003.

1. gocel

gocel Auditioning

Hello, Iam new in the market for a home thearer. I decided to buy one that would be easy to install and not very expensive so I guess a home thearer in a box package would make more sense. I was looking at the Onkio HT-S767C but I do not find any reviews on it. I would greatly appreciate if anybody can suggest any ideas about what to get. Thanks.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

3. Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill Second Unit

Gocel,

You never mentioned price?

My suggestion check out Cambridge Soundworks www.hifi.com .they have all diffrent priced/sized systems.
    They also sell on ebay. Some are refurbished though, but they still come with the industry leading warranty 10yrs, except on powered subs.

The best thing is they have a trade-up program(speaker only not recievers). I started off with their smallest system and now I have the largest ensemble sub/sat system. I have had their products since 1995 and have no intention on getting rid of them. Besides I still have 2 yrs left on the warranties.

Hope this helps
    Ed

4. Bill_Wil

Bill_Wil Stunt Coordinator

The Onkyo system is a good one and it's usually highly recommended for that price range. If theres a circuit city store near you stop in and check it out.

5. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

My wife and I bought my Dad an Onkyo system which is really outstanding. My brother has a $600.00 Sony HTiB that is also excellent and has SACD capability. The only issue with these packages is that they only accept one other source of input, i.e., VCR, CD player, etc. When I was looking for a cheap HT setup for my bedroom, I was tempted to go with an inexpensive HTiB. I opted for entry level separates and have not regreted the choice since the A/V receiver I eventually got suits my needs and is really expandable as to how many components I can hook up to it. Before you buy a HTiB check out some of the entry level separates, you'll be surprised at the products you will find. I certainly was.

6. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

Which entry level seperates would you recommend taking a look at? Sony seems to have some decent inexpensive receivers, from a features stand point anyway.

7. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Well, recommendations are really subjective, but I will let you know what I chose for my bedroom.

Sherwood RD6108 A/V receiver w/DTS and DD 5.1 decoding
    Zenith DVD/VCR Combo Player
    AudioSource 100 watt 6 Speaker System w/Powered Subwoofer

My bedroom TV is a current model Panasonic 27" stereo unit.

This setup cost me less than $400.00, not including the TV. The system works great in my bedroom and while others would balk at the Sherwood receiver for its lack of component and S-Video switching, I don't really need those features since I prefer to hook the video sources directly to my TV and use the receiver for sound only. Check out the prices at www.outpost.com for their really great prices. Outpost is the Fry's Electronics online store and I have had very good results using them. Incidently, I replaced my 8 year old Sony Prologic receiver in my main HT setup with an additional Sherwood RD6108 receiver and I am very happy with the results on that exchange. It is currently powering 2 Sony floor standing tower speakers, a Pioneer center channel speaker, two Sony surround speakers and a Sony 75 watt powered subwoofer. The setup works great. Hope this helps and good luck.

8. Heath_E

Thanks for the info. I'll check those out. I have actually read a few other posts around here where people have had some good things to say about the Sherwood receivers for a budget setup.

9. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I would stay away from Sony's low line as they aren't really that good. Yamaha isn't a bad product. There recievers come with nice bundles even in the $200-300 range and really deliver even with cheaper HTIB. Hope this helps, but all I can say is look around and see what they offer. Yamaha's don't sound bad either.

10. Heath_E

Thanks for the Sony tip. I have seen several posts saying similar things. I have no problems with Yamaha. Almost bought one myself a few years ago, wound up with an Onkyo 787. I just realized that I didn't mention this is for my younger brother. He called asking for advice, problem is I am not that familiar with the lower end products. I have spent most of my time looking a little higher up the ladder.

11. Mando-R

Mando-R Stunt Coordinator

If you're in a small room, stay away from Onkyo. What no one here mentions, is that the Onkyo speakers aren't electromagnetically shielded, which is REALLY stupid, considering they're HOME THEATER, meaning there WILL be a screen nearby.

If you want to go cheap, there is nothing wrong with a Panasonic HTIB. Sony's receivers aren't exactly "good". Panasonic's on the other hand come with a plentyful of inputs that you can use to your disposal.

My friend bought a RCA RT2600, and it's great. For 300 dollars it sounds badass, and you can get it now for MUCH less.

12. gocel

gocel Auditioning

Thank all for your very informative replies. I did some more research and I think I decided to buy the components separately. This is what I have so far; I like the Pioneer VSX-D912K as an entry level unit, it has great reviews and I think I would like to buy the Onkio SKS-HT510 home thearer speaker set. I may have a problem with this setup thought since the receiver is rated at 110 watts per channel and the speakers can handle a max. power of 100W per channel. Any suggestion would be greatly ppreciated.
    I do not want to spend more than $1000.00 for the receiver and the speakers. Thank you.

13. Bill_Wil

Bill_Wil Stunt Coordinator

You wont have any wattage problems. That setup will work just fine. Most companies exagerate the actual wattage output anyway. Good luck with the new system. Did you look at the Onkyo receivers? You can get a 6.1 speaker package and receiver for $500.

http://www.shoponkyo.com/catalog_det...&p=i&ext_war=1

14. JerryCulp

JerryCulp Stunt Coordinator

Get the Onkyo HT-S760, and get a dvd player seperate.
    The 760 is a great buy. the speakers are good enough. The reciever is good enough so that if you get better speakers later on, it will fit in just fine.
    Check the reviews on the 760 and see that it is very well liked.

15. Aaron Thorne

Aaron Thorne Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased the Sony DAV-FC9 HTiB system and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to purchase everything together. I am no expert on HT by any means but to me, it has very clear crisp sound, even at high volumes. The speakers are very stylish as well and come with stands which are adjustable to your preferences. The receiver does anything you want it to do: Progressive scan dvd, cd, sacd, mp3, AM/FM radio, etc. Also, plenty of hookups for all your components.

16. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

My uncle just bought a Yamaha HTIB and I must say that for only $300 it came with a nice reciever, and some decent speakers.

It was the YHT-100, and it delivers nice sound for only $300. Take a look at it, they have them at Bestbuy.

17. Joshua_M

Joshua_M Agent

Heath you have a "Private Message"

18. JayL

JayL Auditioning

I'm a new entry into the hometheater thing myself but I thought I'd add my 2 cents too.

I had the Onkyo ht500 speakers...first off, the ARE sheileded...just not the best.

I got rid of them cuz I didn't like them for music. I listen to a wide variety of music and my songs sounded muffled. My old Kenwood floorstanders sounded more clear.

Movies were ok...but I was never really impressed with the clarity of voice or bass.

Overall I guess they are a good bargain. I got them last year for $180 out the door from Circuit City. I think you get what you pay for though.

In their defense, I have a large room 18x16 with vaulted ceiling and carpet.

19. Donald_S

Donald_S Stunt Coordinator

A HTIB priced quasi individual component solution. If you put together one of the Fluance speaker packages ($199 or $259) a Daytona sub ($125 or so) and a Pioneer VSX-D711 (approx $175), you've got a decent system for a HTIB price.

Take care,

Donald

20. john berry

john berry Auditioning

I just put together a component setup in my family room (my big setup is in the basement I remodeled solely for it - ie big screen tv, Definitive Technology speakers all around, etc - anyway, I digress).

For about $600 - here is one hell of a system. The sound is very impressive to me - more than I expected. Doesn't beat my basement theater setup but it will do quite well when I don't want to go down there in the winter and get a fire going to warm up the basement.

Denon 1803 A/V Receiver $225 delivered via ecost (refurbished by Denon - ecost is Denon authorized dealer)

Wharfedale Moviestar 60+ speakers - $199 plus tax delivered from best buy. This set includes a very nice powered sub and regularly goes for $399. Only available online - not in Best Buy B&M

JVC XVN50BK DVD - $89 after rebate from best Buy. Could have gotten cheaper online but I wanted black and all the lower cost ones online were silver. Ecost had new XVN44SL's for $59 after Mftr rebate.

Various cables - at RatShack - actually they have all their digital audio cables on clearance. Picked some of them up as well as optical toslink cord, some banana plugs, etc. About $50