What's new

Please help me Buy a Laser Disc Player (1 Viewer)

Hello,
I never thought I would need Laser after I purchased my DVD player almost 4 years ago. However, I want the *original* non-special edition version of Star Wars in the best possible format and that will have to be Laser.
Anyway, my dad gave me his hand-me-down Sony that was built in Oct. 1993. (MDP-K5). I haven't used it in 4 years and I think it works OK, but I'm looking for a player that is affordable and easy to setup. Currently I have a Kenwood Home Theater in the Box that I bought back in April/May 2000. It was the one that got great reviews and works great. However, my current Laser has about 2 Line out connections and an aux connection. I'm not exactly sure how to set it up. Do any Lasers have a plug in that allow a simple one plug interface into the receiver (This is how it is with my DVD player). I'm quite the Home Theater Newbie but would appreciate if you could help me find something that is reliable, user friendly, and affordable that I can watch the Star Wars Trilogy in Dolby Pro Logic. Thanks for your help and information.
[Edited last by George Burkhart on October 10, 2001 at 07:50 PM]

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
George,
The only laser disc players with a single audio connection will be later-model ones with AC-3 (Dolby Digital) capability. These players did not come out until a year or two before DVD players were introduced.
Since your laser disc player is an older model, it will have to be connected like any other analog component, with the L/R RCA connections, and will utilize the Dolby Pro-Logic setting on your receiver.
The dual set of output jacks is standard on most laser disc players. Probably one uses an S-video output, and one uses a composite RCA video output. Select the set of jacks that suits your needs.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
George, you could go out on ebay and look for Pioneer players like: CLD-D704, CLD-D604, Elite CLD-99, etc.
But if you want the best, and a new player instead of an old one The japanese Pioneer LD-S9 (1350$) is the way to go.
-Mattias-

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
George:
Regarding your quest for a laser disc player with digital output capability, please understand that even if you had one of the recommended LD players such as the Pioneer CLDD704, you would still need a Dolby Digital Demodulator to playback the Star Wars trilogy in Dolby Digital.
Jeff

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
For general reference, I highly recommend the HTF Laserdisc FAQ.
you would still need a Dolby Digital Demodulator to playback the Star Wars trilogy in Dolby Digital.
Ah, but he says he only wants the original trilogy, which has never been released in Dolby Digital.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on October 11, 2001 at 11:09 AM]

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Yes, read the FAQ. ANd since you want the ORIGINAL trilogy, DD is a non-consideration. I'd recommend something Pioneer x01 or higher. If your Sony works OK, stick with it.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks