Please help me build a system for a friend

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Evan H, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Evan H

Evan H Stunt Coordinator

A friend of mine is looking to build a small HT system on a very limited budget. He's already got a TV and DVD player, but needs speakers and a receiver. Since he's on a budget i was thinking of just reccommending the LR speakers and the receiver for now, and then having him upgrade the rest of the system around them in the future. Here's what I was thinking of for him:

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V396

LR speakers: Paradigm Atoms

I'm not sure about the Yamaha because it only puts out 50 watts, so it's good for now, as that's all the paradigms can handle, but for the future that will leave a lot to be desired, on the other hand, this will just cost $400 to do the whole system, so it has some of its own appeal in that regard. Any ideas? Would a complete system for around $400 do the trick for him, or would this short term bandaid that has the ability to be upgraded pretty easily be a better route to go?

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    well i'd have to suggest getting a sub. i'm a firm believer that there's NO SUBSTITUTE for a good, separate subwoofer in a HT setup. the difference is DAY AND NIGHT!! even the Sony SA-WM40 ($150-200 from Best Buy) will make a tremendous difference! if you can afford a Hsu VTF-2 ($425) or an SVS 25-31CS ($369) + a $100 plate amp, then go for it! the sub will last you through a few upgrades.

i'd stick with the Yammy for now and upgrade to a newer receiver when he's ready to move to better speakers. receivers need to be replaced every few years anyway.

3. Evan H

Evan H Stunt Coordinator

The sub actually was the first thing that we'd agreed was not to get added to the system. right now he's still living w/his parents, and within the next year, he's going to be moving to a studio apartment in NYC. He'll wait for the sub until after the move to find out how thick his walls are... it would be a waste of money to have a sub if your neighbors hear everything that goes on and doesn't care for bass