Please help me "build" a computer for high quality performance on computer games.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BertFalasco, Jan 10, 2002.

1. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

I know some about computers but not enough to build one. I'm looking to spend about 500-600 dollars (I already have a monitor [$250]).
    I want to run games like Counter-Strike and Return To Castle Wolfenstein.
    However, I'm not too thrilled about the thought of me picking parts out and not being sure if my motherboard can handle it (please find a motherboard as well, I mean build a WHOLE computer, when I say build I mean, go on different sites and find parts and/or go to a site and pick what youw ant them to build to help me [​IMG]) or if I buy a case, will the case fit the motherboard properly and this and that.
    I know I want atleast a 45 gig hard drive, an AMD Athlon proccessor. A GeForce2 (possible GeForce3). O yeah, not PCI, AGP connections.
    I have 256 SDRAM, so don't worry about Memory.
    I want a lightning case (if possible, don't go out of your way). I have a burner and a DVD player, so don't worry about that. I'd like either Windows 98 or Windows Proffessional 2000 (Total I'm willing to spend is 500-600 remember!! hehe).
    No virus software or anything. Just OS pre-loaded.
    Floppy Drive. 50x or higher CD-ROM. Good sound card (your call...) Atleast 2 fans (if needed).
    Reminder. I want to be able to run games very nicely.
    I've been looknig at the AMD XP1500. So first, please try and find something involving it!
    THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    -Bert Falasco

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

While you're at it make me a ham and cheese sandwitch and bring more beer!
    Feeling a bit lazy today, are we? Can we expect payment for our services?
    You'd be hard-pressed to find anything with an Athlon XP1500 for $600. Your RAM will likely not work with a newer Athlon so expect an upgrade there.
    If you're not willing to build it yourself you can expect to pay at least $80 to $100 for a pre-assembled system. If you plan on putting your existing DVD drive and CD burner in this PC you might as well build the whole thing yourself.
    BTW, what's a "Lightning" case? I'm not familiar with that brand.
    Considering your need for low price and GeForce2 level performance I'd recommend the following:
    MSI MS-K7N420 Pro motherboard (nVidia nForce chipset with very good onboard 6-channel sound and GeForce 2 video)
    $150
    Athlon XP1500 (per your request)
    $110 (OEM)
    256MB PC2100 DDR RAM
    $60
    45GB HD (several brands to choose from)
    $100
    Floppy drive
    $20
    OEM copy of Win'98
    $50 ($130 for Win2k)
    Case w/PSU (several to choose from)
    $100
    That totals out at $590 -if you build it yourself. Like I said above, add at least another $80 to $100 to have someone assemble it.

3. BertFalasco

Thanks!

Camp, how do I know which case will fit my motherboard, thats what I always get confused with.

-bert

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Glad to help.
    Pretty much any ATX case will do.
    Go to http://www.newegg.com. I buy most of my PC hardware there. Great prices and excellent service. They have lots of cases to look at. In fact, they have a nice Enlight tower right on their front page that includes a 300w power supply for only $47.

5. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

For hardcore gamining, the nForce boards would not be the best choice IMO. The gf2 mx chipset is not 'high performance'.

If I were to build a gaming computer around the Athlon 1500, I'd go with (Newegg prices w/o S/H):

Asus A7V266-E $155

Athlon 1500 $125

Gainward gf3 ti200 Golden Sample $162

IBM ATA100/7200rpm HDD $89

Crucial 256MB PC2100 DDR $72

Mitsumi floppy $9

Sony 52x CD-ROM $28

the $47 Enlight case (save $10 when u buy Asus mobo = $37)

98SE $91

Total is $668.

6. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

PS Intel is dropping some CPU prices later this month which probably means that AMD will as well.

7. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

If you need to stay on a budget, want good performance to run those games, then here goes:

The Nvidia Nforce board is a GF2MX board that is slower then a GF2MX because it uses system memory at the same time.. you're going to save money and get better performance doing the following:

ECS K7S5A - you can find this board available for ~ $60. It has onboard sound (CMI, so slightly better then a CODEC if you go that way, or you can find a Audigy DE OEM for ~$68)

Get an Athlon XP 1600+ available locally for $118, with a decent fan $132.

Get a Geforce 2 TI card. Consider that a minimum. A good bit higher then a GF2MX as on the Nforce boards. You can get a 32MB model for $80 if you go non-TV out

Since you have a floppy, CD & Burner, we can skip those. With the ECS K7S5A, you'll be able to use your SDRAM now, and then upgrade to DDR later. So that's a perk.

Get a 40G WD as a minimum, those drives can be found for $79.

If you're sold on 98SE or Win2k, (I'd prefer you go with Win2k, but hey, it does top the budget at about $130) you can find 98SE at "throwaway" pricing from quite a few dealers for less then $50.

You need a "lightning" case?? Not sure what you're after here. I personally use Chenbro server cases, but that's not in your budget. A good alternative (Aliminum is out of the budget) is Inwin type designs. Try the Q500, I think, about $70.

Ok, so there you go, your cost outlay:

K7S5A - $60

CPU & Fan: $130

Hard Drive: $80

Video Card: $80

Case: 64

If you go with Windows 98, total cost should be around: 464

If you go with Win2k, total cost should be around: 544

If you add an SB Audigy, add 60 either way.

8. BertFalasco

Thank you to all of you. I will look into all these pieces of hardware, especially ones like these "98SE $91?"

I do not know what kind of hardware 98SE is or is it Windows 98?

Thank you all of you!! Off to candystand.com

9. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Uh... nForce boards do have an AGP slot into which you can put a better graphics card, you know. The nForce chipset has other features that make it attractive, such as a great audio capability and a network card built-in.

Also, if you use two separate memory chips the architecture is optimized for that. Not sure what that translates to in real world performance but I don't think one should be in such a hurry to disregard the nforce.

10. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

98SE is Windows 98 Second Edition.

Kimmo, I have an aversion to any video onboard.

11. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

nvidia just announced a version of nforce without built in video. It has all the features of their high end chipset but no built in video. I think this is awsome, but how is the stability of these new boards? I've got a via based mb now and the stability is pretty bad. I am definitely not buying another via based mb again.

12. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

13. Michael_UK

Michael_UK Stunt Coordinator

My one major recomendation is to get a GeForce 3 Ti 200 at least.

The graphics car is very important when playing games, I have seen good systems be crippled by the limiting power of the graphics card.

For games a Geforce 2 is good but for the small extra layout the GF 3Ti 200 is definatly the way to go.

If you can find the exta cash then the GF 3 Ti 500 is pritty much the best card out.

14. Tim_Y_F

Tim_Y_F Agent

Nah the leadTek Geforce 2 GTS Ultra 64MB DDR will do the job nicely. Its the top notch geforce 2. Those Geforce 2 cards are now really cheap since the release of the Geforce 3. It fits into his budget.

15. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

The gf3 should be cheaper soon; the gf4 cards are coming.

16. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

GF4 will be a 3rd (more likely 4th) quarter release.

17. Tim_Y_F

Tim_Y_F Agent

hey when u guys said the AMD chipset is stable and the VIA chipset is the most unstable, I've seen a couple of motherboards with BOTH chipsets on ( notably the MSI K7 master with the AMD chipset on the 'north bridge' and the VIA chipset on the 'south bridge')..are those motherboards stable?

18. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

The AMD 761 based boards you're seeing all use an AMD northbridge and a Via 686B southbridge. The only retail motherboards that use the full AMD 760 chipset (north & south chips) are the dual-processor versions.

IMO the newer Via chipset (KT266A) is much more stable than the original Kt266. This is due mainly to the drivers.