PLEASE HELP, Losing faith in my purchases

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris*C, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Chris*C

Chris*C Auditioning

I just switched from cable to Directv with just the basic receiver and the PQ on my Panny PT50LC13 HDTV looks worse than it did with cable! Very soft picture, kind of chalky looking, D* looks great on my 32" TV. UGHHH!!!
    I have not gotten a HDTV receiver yet, but will be soon.
    My question is will the PQ improve on my 50" Panny with the
    HD receiver? I know the HD channels will be better, (I'm becoming skeptical about the HD PQ too) but will SD channels look better?
    Do I have to just deal with this crappy PQ, I hope it can be improved because I'm really losing sleep with the amount of money I'm spending.

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    On your big set, try switching your video output from whatever you're using, composite or S-video. Maybe you'd do better with the other? My Hughes DirecTV Tivos do standard def fairly well, no complaints. Did they give you RCA equipment?

3. Chris*C

Chris*C Auditioning

The D* box is RCA with S-Video.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Are you running it through your receiver?

5. Chris*C

Chris*C Auditioning

NO, I guess I need to know what kind of PQ I should expect.
    When I watch a good DVD like LOTR PQ is oustanding on my big screen. Comparatively the SDTV PQ is 50% worse, less sharp less clear, less watchable!!!

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

You may have to address the settings on you satellite box. Click Menu, then select picture. try adjusting the picture from the satellite box and then see what it looks like.

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Chris, just because the RCA box has S-video doesn't mean that it will work better than composite might with your TV. You should try both. RCA equipment usually has a decent picture but horrid ergonomics and very slow menu functions. I got 1 Hughes Tivo and 1 RCA box in my package deal. A few weeks later I had a second Hughes Tivo and the RCA was on a shelf. RCA has a not so good rep.

Have you tried switching the two satelite boxes out? Who knows...?

BTW, I saw ESPN HD off satelite (DirecTV) at a friend's house last week and it looked really good.