Please help in deciding on a new TV

Charles CB

Agent
Hello All,

After 10 years of wonderful service, our 32" Sony Trinitron has died. This is actually somewhat saddening since we have had the TV for so long and it had produced such a great picture. However, this is also the excuse we were looking for to upgrade to HD. We have always loved Sony's Television products and they look very astheticly pleasing to me. However, we have also been considering the Samsung DLPs.

So with all this in mind, I was wondering if any of you guys could throw out any suggestions as to what models would be nice in the price range of $2000. Im afraid if I go below that, the picture may be too small. But I really dont wish to go any higher than $2200.

We sit 10 feet from the TV. I was thinking along the lines of a 50." Others in my house feel that a 42-46" would be enough. Im afraid that would be too small

I guess I should also add that most of what we watch is sourced from DVD and were wondering how standard definition TV looks on and HD set.

I would love your suggestions for the best TV in that price range. We arent limited to only Sony or Samsung, but we are leaning towards them already. Any suggestions with opinion and Pro's and Con's would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Again.

Charles CB

Agent
Hey Seth,

Man Im a dumbass...I knew I forgot something in my post. We sit 10 feet from the TV. I was thinking along the lines of a 50." Others in my house feel that a 42-46" would be enough. Im afraid that would be too small. Im also editing my previous post.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I think 50" is reasonable. Within your price range you should certainly consider the Samsung DLP (which you mentioned). BestBuy currently has the 1080p 50" version for under $2200.

Sony's 50" 1080p SXRD is also within your range. If you like the Sony, you should also look at JVC HD-ILA. They have a 52" version -- it's 720p.

FYI - if you wanted to consider plasma, Panasonic has a 50" that can be had for under $2400.

Pros/Cons of Sony v Samsung -- with DLP you may be annoyed by the rainbow effect. I think this really comes down to reading reviews and going to look at the two technologies in a store to see if you have a preference between the two.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I recommend the Sony SXRD. I have the 55" modle and have been very pleased. I believe BB has the 50" model for under $2,300.

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Samsung hls5086W which I really like. It can currently be had for around $1300 at CC. With your budget you could pay for a very good DVD player and cables. You could throw in a stand as well. Most will recommend the 1080P for "future proofing". The only thing out in 1080P is Blu-Ray HD-DVD. Cable and Sat do not broadcast in 1080P nor do I think they will for some time. At 10 feet the difference between 1080P and 720P would be very slight at best(in my opinion). I have never seen the rainbow effect and I don't think it is as big of a problem in newer sets. I am not saying that it is a waste of money to get the higher resolution sets. It was just not worth the price difference to me for what you gain.

Greg

Charles CB

Agent
Thanks for all the help guys, but other voices in he house have spoken and we went in a direction we didnt see coming. We will be purchasing a 46" Sony Bravia. The KDL-46S2000 to be exact. I was hoping for something at least 50 inches but the picture looked very good.

So now this leads me to another quick question or two.

HDMI or Component?

Also, I am currently getting SD TV through my rooftop antenna sent through a coax cable. A coax cable CANNOT send an HD signal, is that correct? I would have to upgrade to a service like DirecTV to receive HD signals right, even from my local networks like NBC and such?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
You should be able to receive HD channels through your rooftop antenna. The dealer where I bought my HD TV has their sets to receive local HD channels through an over the air antenna. I am not sure what kind of wiring you would need,though.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo